CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Bentley Continental GT Speed: I purchased a 2008 Bentley Continental

I purchased a 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed last spring with a one year extended warranty. The car had 16,000 and I will have put on 3,000 miles. TO extend that warranty is roughly $4,200 for 1 year and $7,900 for 2 years. Does that model have issues that suggest I should do this? I have had no issues to date. I keep it on a tender when not driving it. I have owned other Bentleys but not a COntinental. What would you do?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

Good evening

CarDoc :

Ok, so we'll start with relative reliability of these

CarDoc :

But first a couple of questions for you

CarDoc :

1) is this warranty through Bentley, or is it a 3rd party warranty

CarDoc :

2) do you have all of your work done by a dealer or good independent Bentley/Euro shop?

Customer:

This is the factory warranty. I bought the car from a Bentley dealership, Bentley Pittsburgh.

Customer:

All my work is done by the same mechanics all the time unless I am in Florida where Bentley Naples does the work.

CarDoc :

Great, good to hear on both counts

CarDoc :

and with the mileage, do you expect to continue to put on similar over the next 2 years? About 3000 per?

Customer:

Yes, I only take it out on sunny days or club events but my local mechanic has told me that there are suspension issues I should worry about. 3,000 miles per year is a lot actually because that included to and from the Auto Train to Florida.

CarDoc :

Honestly, despite repairs being relatively expensive on these, they're actually quite reliable.

Customer:

I do put it through its paces on the interstate and will routinely take it over 100 moph.

Customer:

What is with the "suspension". And he also said the infotainment system could go and that is a Big ticket.

CarDoc :

I think with the expected mileage you're expecting, I would not recommend the warranty. Also, it's actually good that you give it a workout occasionally. Too many of these just sit or don't get driven like they're supposed to, which is when problems crop up.

CarDoc :

Suspension issues he's speaking of is related to the air ride system....

CarDoc :

But with the dozen of these I work on, I've seen no problems.

CarDoc :

And here's a dirty little secret about air suspension parts that your dealer would rather you not know. There's a fantastic company who deals with Bentley suspension, their pricing is fantastic, and parts prices very reasonable

CarDoc :

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BENTLEY_yid27_pid177.html

Customer:

I am a chicken and have only had it up to about 130 but I love to give it a ride. I have had Arnages and Brooklands but never a Bentley this new or powerful. Is there anything unique to the Speed that causes an issue? My theory is to drive it regularly in good weather and have regular maintenance.

CarDoc :

I work on 2 '08 Speeds, and neither are less reliable than the standard CGT's

Customer:

Are you a Bentley dealer mechanic? Are you telling me that if the suspension issue were to happen I could buy the parts from this other website?

CarDoc :

I'm not a Bentley dealer mechanic. I own a specialty European and Exotic repair shop. And yes, you could purchase these parts if there were ever an issue

Customer:

And couldn't I ask them to go over everything before the warranty expires to catch anything close to going bad?

CarDoc :

I think that would be an excellent idea. That's not out of the ordinary at all

Customer:

Well I appreciate your input. If you were near Pittsburgh and I needed work I would take it to you. That was sort of my thoughts. Merry CHristmas.

CarDoc :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX let me know if I can help in the future

CarDoc :

Enjoy the current snow if you're up here now

Customer:

Where are you located?

CarDoc :

Well, we're not allowed to exchange personal information, but I can say Western NY area

Customer:

No problem. We have 7 inches of snow here today and while my Bentley is in Florida, My S-Class and all my antiques are stored in the 60 degree garage.

CarDoc :

sounds like a perfect situation. Yep, snow is just starting to pile up here. Actually looking forward to it finally

Customer:

THanks again. Good night.

CarDoc :

sure thing and thank you

CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.