Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Isuzu Rodeo: 2001 Isuzu Rodeo, 105000 miles, 3.2L V6, 4WD.

2001 Isuzu Rodeo, 105000 miles, 3.2L V6, 4WD.

On cold days I hear an engine knocking sound and it stays on for about 2 minutes until the engine has warmed up a little and goes away. Oil and filter haven been changed on a regular basis. I haven't checked the oil level recently and since there are no leaks, I'm assuming that it's ok. What could be causing this?
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
A few things. If the noise is coming fr4om engine? you may want to confirm, your choice to be 100% byt removeing the engine belt and running when coold just to be sure from engine. I am usre what grade or viscosity of oil you use, but if the noise is from engine, i would first check oil levle. Then if ok? i would consider having it changed and maybe consider s afull or semi synthetic oil
The normal oil is 5W-30 but 10w-30 may be needed. Its possible it is thickening and just not quite getting to the top of engine as thicker oil whan cold. the advantage to semi or full sytntethic is it sticks to the bearing much better, is not affected by heat or cold engine and will remain viscosity at all times and less frequent oil changes. It does cost more but Mobile 1 synthetic would eb a good choice on next oil change.If you chose to saty with the 5w-30. be sure it is a good brand. name brand and consider and addtive like Lucas oil additive which will help oil cling to bearings that much better.If problem persists/ then i would get a technician to listen to engine when cold asan internal problem could be developing but from age and low miles? i tend to lean away from this. i am thinking its going to be oil related and need to change to 10W-30 and full synthetic or at minimum semi synthetic oil and drive for a few weeks and keep close eye on oil level and this may very well correct the problem

I hope this helps. please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

When you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, I would appreciate your positive rating. I truly value your feedback.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Randall,

Thanks for the suggestions. During my oil change, I always tell them to put in full synthetic oil and have purchased Mobil 1 from Costco in the past. Will get the 10W-30 rated oil this time and try it.

Thanks again. Happy New Year.

Rohith

let me know how you make out. Thanks