George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Good Morning, I have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager Van with the smaller

Good Morning, I have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager Van with the smaller engine.
Two weeks ago I had the main belt come off the pullies, which we thought was due to going through a small water puddle. We put it back on, since then we have had to redo 3 more times. Now its snowed, it came off again. What other things could cause this that we can troubleshoot?
Thank You

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is quite common and it sounds like the belt tensioner has lost its spring and will need to be replaced and you may have a bearing failing on an idler pulley. Gates has come up with a bulletproof solution that is more expensive than a tensioner and belt replacement but it is new idler pulleys and a special belt that is ribbed on both sides with a tensioner that is as well. This guides the belt at all times so it cannot slip off.

The other thing to check is that the splash shield in the wheel well is still in place to keep water and slush off the belt.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you