FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a fuel leakage from the bottom of a canister type thing

I have a fuel leakage from the bottom of a canister type thing mounted to the side of my car next to the caburetor and I don't know if there should be a hose connected to the bottom of the canister or not. Its a suzuki vitara 1.6 engine. Its got 3 hose connections on the top and an outlet at the bottom where the fuel is leaking. Could you pls give me the proper name of this cannister? Please advise.

FixItMan :

Hello, and thank you for letting us help you with your automotive question. This is the evaporative emissions or charcoal canister. It is made to hold fuel vapors to be brunt off at a later time. Fuel will leak out of it once it is full and can not longer hold vapors. It becomes full from age or if the fuel tank is over filled too many times. I hope this helps. The hoses that are connected is all that should be there. If you need more help let me kno.

Customer:

I am having difficulty starting my car and am not sure if it has got to do with the carbi??? I have CRC sprayed the Carbi to lossen up the stickiness and its starting alright but the idle seem to fluctuate and is not holding??

FixItMan :

If this canister is full then it will also cause the vehicle to not run correctly. It will cause it to run rich. You need to start by replacing this and also cleaning out the carb if it is very dirty. If that still does not help then you may need to rebuild the carb on this vehicle.

Customer:

Thanks for the advise and will do as you said.