Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Plymouth Cranbrook: i Have a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook ... Original

i Have a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook ... Original motor ... when I start cold ... need to use starter fluid one spray and usually starts right away (not the problem .... but may be a part ???) The problem is when it is warm ... it takes a LOOOOOOONG time to resart ... or does NOT until it hasa cooled off some. ie. I start it(runs PERFECT !!!... idles and drives like a DREAM !!!) goto the store ... turn it off go in back in 5-10 min. will take forever ... some times 30min to restart... other times a spray or two ... and like 5 min (if I'm lucky). FYI ... it is mostly all original it has a fuel cell as the original was rusted out ... i was thinking that there may be a "leak" and it has "lost the prime" BUT as noted even with a spray it does not start so ??? any ideas ???
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
When it does not start is the coil extremely hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to check ??? It hadnt seem to be ... But i will Check

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok need to check that next this can be the entire issue. If there is still an issue then your wiring, or ignition switch is bad. When the defective areas get hot, they will your wiring, or ignition switch is bad. When the defective areas get hot, they will break down and cause enough resistance to reduce the spark. Check how much break down and cause enough resistance to reduce the spark. Check how much voltage is actually reaching the coil when everything is hot. If there is a reduction with voltage is actually reaching the coil when everything is hot. If there is a reduction with the points open, that is your problem. the points open, that is your problem. Also check it with the points closed to see how Also check it with the points closed to see how much voltage drop you have. Also, not as likely, but it could be in the distributor. Are much voltage drop you have. Also, not as likely, but it could be in the distributor. Are you positive that you have a good condensor, and the points plate grounding wire is in you positive that you have a good condensor, and the points plate grounding wire is in good order good order. These are the next steps. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. Have a safe and Happy Holiday!
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician