Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

2007 susuki xl7: how to disable the day running light on suzuki

Customer Question

how to disable the day running light on suzuki XL7 2007 model
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is AMEDEE and I have been working on cars for over 10 years.

I will be more than happy to help you with your question.

Are you looking to disable them completely or just temporarily?

Are you looking to do this a certain way or the easiest way possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks,

I am looking to disable them completely, it's better the easiet way but if there is a certain procedure it's ok, because I am a technician but not with this car ( I have no wiring diagrams and or repair instructutes)

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. no problem!

You could do this a few different ways. You could remove the bulbs from the sockets or you could either cut one of the two wires going to each light or if they have a connector just remove the connector and secure it nice and tight with a zip tie so it does not hang down while driving. It is as simple as that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, yes I know this but I need something professional and at the same time I need the lights working

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Oh.. got it!

Ok.. this is very simple. Just remove the DRL relay located in the under hood fuse block. THis will prevent the daytime running lights from coming on but the headlights and brights will still work just fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for my late response, the internet cut off and it takes time to reconnect it.
Whiche on is it (I mean the relay)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

by the way I've checked the fuse block table and there is no relay for the running light, So I would be grateful if tell me where is the relay located or the DRL control unit and which wire is the signal one?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The purple wire is the signal wire going to the DRL relay.

I am having a hard time finding the exact locations DRL relay in my references. It should be labeled DRL PCB relay.

Or you could just remove the 15 amp DRL fuse number 52
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I told you I did removed the fuses (52 , 10) but nothing changed and as I told you I could not find the relay or the modul ( to cut its purple wire)

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. then you will have to unbolt the fuse block with all of the relays, flip it over and find the purple wire and cut it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no relay for DRL on the fuse block, the all relays are for other things as it's on the booklet of the car

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a picture of your fuse block under the hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excuse me I am sure 100% that the DRL module and/or relay is not on the fuse box!?

And I checked it and checked its relays and fuses, but there is just fuse No: 52 and 10 and there is no relay or module for DRLs.

Can you help me to find it somewhere else and to disable its function for DRLs?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

YES.. I can help.

Give me some time to do some research for you and I will post back in a bit.

Thanks!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

I did some more research for you and found out that this drl relay is labeled DRL PCB for a reason. The PCB means printed circuit board which means the relay is integrated into the fuse/relay block and cannot be removed separately.

So this means, if you wanted to disable the Daytime running lights, you need to cut that signal wire going into the DRL relay from the computer in order to disable the daytime running lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, which one is the signal wire going into the DRL relay from the computer in order to disable the daytime running lights?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

It Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Let me know!

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no DRL PCB in the fuse box and there is 4 purple wires connected to the inside of the fuse box
Dear sir I am asking about Suzuki XL7 2007 and there is no DRL unit in the fuse box
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

I did some more research for you and found out that this drl relay is labeled DRL PCB for a reason.

The PCB means printed circuit board which means the relay is integrated into the fuse/relay block and cannot be removed separately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry but there is nothing in the fuse box labeled DRL PCB and I will send to you the pictures for that.

thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

The relay is build into the fuse box. You cannot remove it separately. If the relay is bad for any reason, the entire fuse/relay box needs to be replaced.

I am not sure why you would give me a bad rating. I am only telling you the truth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Sir,

I am sorry for that and I do not mean that you are not saying the truth but your answers are not enough; as I told you that I am looking for a way how I can diable the DRL and I followed your information step by step, first of all you said remove the sockets of the headlights and that's not what I need and not sufficient too because I need to diable the DRL not the lights of the car, then you informed me that I have to cut the purple wire connected to the builtin relay labeled DRL PCB and there is no written DRL PCB in the fuse box to cut its purple wire and nevertheless I checked if there is a single purple wire to cut it of but I found 4 purple wires, so which one should I cut? by the way the fuse box is like a control unit its inputs are just sockets , any way I will send you its pictures.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

No problem and I understand where your coming from. I am very sorry but this is not a straight forward repair. I am just trying to help you.

My references do not tell me which purple wire to cut. It just says that there is a purple wire that activates the DRL relay.

We can always try a different route. Again, try to remove the DRL fuse number 52 or the DRL fuse number 2 to see if this does the trick. If the DRL's stop working but the headlights no longer work when one of these two fuses are removed, there is no easy way to disable the Daytime running lights. I am very sorry.

The only other thing I could think of would be to completely disable the circuit by leaving one of these fuses removed and then wire in a brand new on off switch to the wires going to the headlights to allow them to work with the new after market switch. This would be a bit more work, but if you are serious about disabling the DRL's completely, then this is what needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand where your coming from !!!?

Sorry again but I need a professional answer from an expert ....?

thanks a lot sir

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

You bet! I am glad I was able to give you an accurate answer. I do hope this has helped you and has shed some light on this subject.

Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's not an accurate answer but you tried....
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You bet!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Not given the correct answer because the description he gave me is not identical to my car or he was speaking about another type and not my car type, and he just gave a general answer cannot be given by an expert such like remove the bulbs to deactivate the day time running lights (how can I drive my car without lights, I am asking to deactivate the DRL the day time running lights and not the whole lighting system), lastly He is not polite and I hate to be dealt like that
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

I see that you are not happy with the answer you were given so let me try to help you.

I'm looking at the schematic for the DRL system in your 2007 XL7. In the underhood fuse block are two fuses. There are a DRL (Fuse 52 - 15amp) and DRL2 (Fuse 10 - 15amp) fuses. Remove these 2 fuses and you should be fine. If the fuses are not labeled and you need to know the exact locations please let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Sir,

I already removed these fuses but nothing happend the DRL still working and I checked the fuse box itself to find a labled modul or relay

whether can be removed or not but I could not.

what I am looking for is the correct wiring diagram for the DRL and/or how to disable it with the lights work normally at the same time. I do not like wiring in a brand new on off switch to the wires going to the headlights to allow them to work with the new after market switch.

thanks

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
I am looking at the exact wiring diagram for your vehicle! According to my schematics FUSE #10 and FUSE #52 complete the circuit for the DRL. Your headlights also had an AUTO function on the turn signal switch. Are you also trying to disable to AUTO function of the headlamps?

There is another way you can try disabling the DRL. There is a resistor mounted to the outside of the body on the driver side of the vehicle. It is located directly behind the metal bumper support on the frame rail. Unplug this resistor... it may be hard to get to with the bumper cover in place. It has a single 2 wire connector attached to it.

Please verify that you are trying to disable only the DRL or also the AUTO headlight operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just disable only the DRL
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Did you unplug the DRL resistor I mentioned above and try again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Sir
regarding the fuses I am driving my car without these fuses (they are removed) and the lights are still on and can not be swtched off.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Did you unplug the resistor I told you about?
Also are you 100% sure you pulled the correct 2 fuses - #10 and #52? Are they labeled on the lid for easy identification?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did and it's 100% and 100% and 100% correct fuses

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
When you unplugged the resistor did it change the operation of the lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Not yet? Did you not unplug the resistor or it didn't make a change?