Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Olds Aurora: Have 2001 Olds Aurora, 4.0L. Previously have

Customer Question

Have 2001 Olds Aurora, 4.0L. Previously have fixed large intake air leak that caused misfire rear cylinders - torn seal. I also replaced the rear coil bank and all plugs. Then, cyl 3 still mis-fired. I opened it again and stretched the wire "spring" connector. That cured it. NOw, 2000m later, I have a mis-fire on #7. What have I missed here? Before I disassemble it again, advice please!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

how many miles is on the aurora?

Customer:

just under 100k.

tims auto repair :

tell me

tims auto repair :

did you replace the plug boots?

Customer:

No, I did not.

tims auto repair :

lets replace those

tims auto repair :

these will go bad sometimes,,causing it to jump spark to the head

tims auto repair :

even if they look good

Customer:

OK, but that requires huge disassembly of the ignition system. Are you confident that the fault is not in the ignition module, or the fuel injection circuts or wires. ( I had the injectors cleaned 2000m ago!)

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

there is a posibility that the problem could be the coil housing

Customer:

I also replaced all the injector seals.

tims auto repair :

i wouldnt think it has anything to do with the injectors

tims auto repair :

but..the likley problem is the boots

Customer:

You mean the coil module? This model has the large, self-contained module, 1 for each bank.

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

OK. The fault started after the car had sat out in the Portland rain for a month whilst we were traveling!!

tims auto repair :

but..i think the boots will fix your problem

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

31_gc01gobdy_6-1938a.png
Full Size Image

1. Remove the fuel injector sight shield.
2. Disconnect the ignition control module electrical connector.
3. Disconnect the AIR vacuum control solenoid valve electrical connector.
4. Remove the AIR Control Valve. Refer to Secondary AIR Injection Control Valve Replacement - Bank 1 (Dual pump system) or Secondary AIR Injection Control Valve Replacement - Bank 1 (Single pump system).

32_gc01gobdy_6-1938b.png
Full Size Image

5. Using the removal sequence (12, 3, 4, 5, 6,7,8), remove the ignition cassette retaining bolts.
6. Carefully remove the ignition cassette.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Ensure the ignition cassette grounding spring and the insulator are in place when installing the ignition cassette.

31_gc01gobdy_6-1938a.png
Full Size Image

1. Connect the spark plug boots to the spark plugs. Carefully install the ignition cassette.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

33_gc01gobdy_6-1939a.png
Full Size Image

2. Install the ignition cassette retaining bolts.

Tighten
Using the installation torque sequence (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), tighten the ignition cassette retaining bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in).

3. Install the AIR Control Valve. Refer to Secondary AIR Injection Control Valve Replacement - Bank 1 (Dual pump system) or Secondary AIR Injection Control Valve Replacement - Bank 1 (Single pump system).
4. Reconnect the AIR vacuum control solenoid valve electrical connector.
5. Reconnect the ignition cassette electrical connector.
6. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

Customer:

PS Before I go get my cheat sheet, which cylinder is #7? On the rear bank?

tims auto repair :

bank2

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

34_gc01gobdy_6-1939b.png
Full Size Image

35_gc01gobdy_6-1939c.png
Full Size Image

3. Using the removal sequence (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), remove the ignition cassette retaining bolts.
4. Carefully remove the ignition cassette.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Be sure the ignition cassette grounding spring and insulator are in place when installing the ignition cassette.

36_gc01gobdy_6-1940a.png
Full Size Image

37_gc01gobdy_6-1940b.png
Full Size Image

Tighten

3. Reconnect the ignition cassette electrical connector.
4. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

tims auto repair :

one second

Customer:

Bank 2 is the rear bank, no?

tims auto repair :

NUMBER 1 CYLINDER

79_gcfolv8-001.png
Full Size Image
tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

Arrgh! I have taken off that rear module 3x now, and it is a pain!

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX follow your advice and replace spark boots.

tims auto repair :

you need to always replace those plug boots if you ever have it apart,,sense it is hard to get to

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

I have found that I can just reach down and disconnect 2 bolts behind and below the module to free up the air valve. The book says to remove it from below. Thanks again. Signing off.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.