Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hummer H2: 2003 Hummer H2 was sitting idling when I heard a

Customer Question

2003 Hummer H2 was sitting idling when I heard a loud whining / grinding noise. Shut the truck off. When I went to restart it, it just clicked one time, but did not turn over. Had truck towed home. At the suggestion of many, I replaced the starter and just because it was old, the battery. After replacing the starter, the truck does the same thing. One very loud click and then nothing. I did notice that when you turn the key and it does the one loud click, the engine rotates about 1/2 inch and then nothing. Took the starter out and had it tested to be sure. The starter is fine. Felt the teeth on the flywheel, they seem to be fine. The battery is fine. Engine oil is full and clean. At a loss as to what could be wrong. Hoping something is not seized up in the engine. Was running great prior to this issue. Has 124,000 miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. It sounds like bad news from what I'm hearing so far, have you tried to manually turn over the engine? If not, try and let me know. You can put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and remove spark plugs to see if you can turn engine over. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to manually crank the engine with a large wrench. It turned counterclockwise without too much resistance, but not at all clockwise. Also after I manually cranked the engine, it now makes a grinding noise when I turn the key instead of a click.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to crank the engine clockwise with the spark plugs removed? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. It's dark now. Will try that tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.