Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Land rover Discovery 1: i have a1996 land rover discovery,

i have a1996 land rover discovery, 150,000 miles, manuel tranoisns. Every once and awhile when i go to start it it makes a loud noise from the engine compartment. It sounds like leaves or small branches stuck in the engine fan. visually everything looks fine. It happens when I turn the key from the on position to the crank position and before cranking the engine. The noise continues for 3-4 seconds and goes away. I crank the engine as normal and no other symptoms. occaisionally I have to crank the engine 2 or 3 times to get it to start. No P codes, new fuel pump and filter, plugs and wires, battery and charging system check out, gas cap is new, fuel pressure regulator is good. Thanks Dan
so before the engine physically cranks over you hear this noise? When you hear this noise before the starter physically engages is it the starter should have engaged like its delayed when you hear this noise? Is the noise from the front of the engine? Back?under the truck area where the transmission meets the engine area ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no delay in the operation of the starter. I've had a couple of people listen for the location. most state it comming from the back of the engine compartment. It does not make the noise consistantly and i cant make it occour on my own. Sorry it's beenhard to pin point

no problem at all. I would be more apt to think that noise can be the starter drive possibly clashing with the flywheel plate teeth the solenoid on the starter making the noise.

where you able to inspect the teeth of the flywheel plate or the teeth of the starter chewed up or show any signs of them not meshing properly ?

I would rule out a transmission or clutch issue as the engine physically has not cranking over or moved yet correct ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct. Thats why its been so frustrating. I didnt think anything should be moving until I started cranking. i havent inspected the flywheel plate or teeth on the starter yet. i was under the rig this morning thinking about tearing out the sarter for a closer look.

I would do a visual on the starter teeth and make sure they look good.it could be a simple as a starter bad causing this problem .intermittent issues are so hard to nail down.if the starter does not fix this noise then I would every time when you start it have the hood open and have someone listen or they start it and you listen and nail down the exact area. But if you see nothing physically hitting the engine belts or fan it would have to be starter area
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should the noise change or stop after i crank. because it doesnt seem to effect the noise while cranking. i will tear out the starter and give everything a good inspection

it depends on if the starter drive itself is the problem with the starter.i would do a visual on it and maybe even have it bench tested.look in there good and make sure there is nothing in the bellhousing and look for any visual markings of something maybe hitting in that area
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do. how do i contact you with the results, this may take more than a few minutes...

you can get me back through his post any time even after you rate us. And I will respond as soon as I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks wish me luck.

you will be fine just work safe !
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Took the starter out and had it tested. It passed. Teeth on the fly wheel and starter look good. No chips or broken teeth.
once put back together did it make the noise again ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll let you know as soon as I get it put back in
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Started just fine this time only time will tell . If it didn't fix it ill see if I can pin point it more. There is a slight whiring noise just prior to cranking. What ever is making that might be worth a look.
have the hood open each time and narrow the area down
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Found a broken hard plastic vacuum line going from the intake next to the air fuel regulator to, I think its the charcol canister. Repaired it. It has run smoother,it has been starting better and I havnt heard the rattling noise.
great job im glad its fixed