Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Problem with P0342 code (Cam Shaft Position Sensor)

Customer Question

I Have an 1998 Isuzu rodeo 2.2L with P0342P code (Cam Shaft Position Sensor). Already changed the sensor and check the electrical system, computer was reset. The cpde was erased and after some seconds it shows up again. The computer still shows this code and I'm having a hard time starting when the car is cold. Any suggestions?

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does it run well when it is running?

Customer:

Yes, it does, the only problem seems to be at the first starting at the morning, you have to try 2 or 3 times before it starts. If you clear the code it goes back. After that the car runs normally

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

from the code you get

tims auto repair :

it tells us you have low voltage to the cam sensor

tims auto repair :

i can give you some tests to do that will help you find the problem

tims auto repair :

will that work for you?

Customer:

We already tried that today and the technician replaced the ground wire, all the voltage readings at the sensor were ok and also at the computer... ( I don't know how he checked that)

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

but..we need to do these voltage tests,,to make sure of what is going on

Customer:

ok, I can do that by myself, lets try it

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

Give me the instructions and I'll let you know

tims auto repair :

if you have a multi-meter

Customer:

btw...the conclusion of the technician was to replace the ECU....

tims auto repair :

it would seem you may have a bad connection or bad wire

tims auto repair :

it may come to that

tims auto repair :

but

Customer:

Yes i have one...I barely use it but I have one

tims auto repair :

do the checks first to make sure

tims auto repair :

ok..stand by

Customer:

yeap.

tims auto repair :

here we go

tims auto repair :

DTC P0342 CMP Sensor Circuit Low Input

21_sz98rodeo_de6e1-228.png
Full Size Image

22_sz98rodeo_de6e1-229.png
Full Size Image

23_sz98rodeo_de6e1-230.png
Full Size Image

Circuit Description
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor signal is produced by the CMP sensor pulses when the engine is running and crankshaft position (CKP) sync pulses are also being received. The PCM uses the CMP signal pulses to initiate sequential fuel injection. The PCM constantly monitors the number of pulses on the CMP signal circuit and compares the number of CMP pulses to the number of 58X reference pulses received. if the PCM does not receive pulses on the CMP reference circuit, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 will set and the PCM will initiate injector sequence without the CMP signal with a one in four chance that injector sequence is correct. The engine will continue to start and run normally, although the misfire diagnostic will be affected if a misfiring condition occurs. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 is a type B code.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
- The engine is running.
- The CMP sensor signal is not received by the PCM once every 4 cylinders.
- The above condition occurs for 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after the second consecutive trip in which the fault is detected.
- The PCM will initiate injector sequence without the CMP signal with a one in four chance that injector sequence is correct.
- The PCM will store conditions which were present when the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was set as Freeze Frame and in the Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
- The PCM will turn the MIL OFF on the third consecutive trip cycle during which the diagnostic has been run and the fault condition is no longer present.
- A history Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a fault.
- Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 can be cleared by using the Scan Tool's "Clear Info" function.
- If a CKP Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is also indicated, there may be a problem with the ground circuit because the CMP ground is spliced to the CKP ground wire.
- If a fuel injector Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is also indicated, there may be a problem with the power supply to the CMP. The wire supplying CMP power is spliced to the wire supplying power to the fuel injectors.

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed-through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check for the following:
- Poor connection - Inspect the PCM harness and connectors for improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal-to- wire connection.
- Damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness for damage; shorts to Ground, shorts to Battery Positive, and Open Circuits. If the harness appears to be OK, disconnect the PCM, turn the ignition ON and observe a voltmeter connected to the CMP signal circuit at the PCM harness connector while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the CMP sensor. A change in voltage will indicate the location of the fault.

Test Description
Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Chart.
2. Ensures that the fault is present.

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

This is the first time I use this system, should I rate your answer right now?.... should I let you know the result of my tests?

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.