Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Isuzu Axiom: Question: Will a used ECU be able to be reprogrammed

Question: Will a used ECU be able to be reprogrammed and used in replacement of the original?

Short story version:
Purchased suv from previous owner, repaired what needed to be fixed only to find that when I tried to start it the immobilizer kicks in. Upon further investigation I find the ECu has a shipping label on the back of it to the old owner meaning it's not the original computer.
Local dealer is telling me that the ECU I have should have been flashed while it was in the old vehicle to remove all it's info and then reprogrammed into mine. They state that since it's near impossible to find a junk yard with the computer still in it that I need to purchased a new ECU at $1,900 installed.
I've had a locksmith out who tried to reprogram the computer, but when he put it in the car, the VIN reverted back to the original. He then tok the computer and immobilizer home and tried to change the VIN for both, but had the same issue.
Is there a way to reprogram a used ECU or a "remanufactured" ECU, or do I have to buy new?

Ron :

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,

Customer:

hi

Ron :

Unfortunatelly your dealer is correct, in order to use the used unit you would have had to download all the information from the host unit so it could be loaded into your Axiom. The only way to get the problem resolved is to replace teh unit with a new one flashed for your car.

Customer:

Is it possible to find a used Axiom in a yard and send a locksmith out to flash it while in the vehicle?

Ron :

That would likely work if its still in the car, the PCM has to be flashed to match the vin number it came out of. That where your having a problem with the one you have ,because you dont have the vin it can not be programmed to match your car.

Customer:

According to the locksmith that was playing with the used computer I have, he said he was able to get the VIN number that's stored in that computer, but he wasn't able to reprogram the computer to keep my suv's vin/

Customer:

I guess my question is, Are we basically erasing the VIN info from the vehicle it's in therefore having a clean ECU to be preogrammed into my vehicle?

Ron :

In most cases it will not erase and thats why you usually have to go with a new one because it will come with your vin number in it .

Customer:

bummer, teach me to buy on eyear only vehicles with outrageous parts pricing

Unfortunatelly your not alone on that . There making these system to smart anymore and makes it hard to take short cuts.