The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Range Rover Autobiography: I have a 2009 Range Rover Autobiography.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Range Rover Autobiography. After driving for about 20 minutes, I get TRANSMISSION FAULT LIMITES GEAR ONLY displayed after which the gear sticks in gear 3 and would remain there even if manual drive is selected.

I have gone to various shops and no one seems to know what the issue is. Please can you advice?
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer and Pearl.com for your query. Yes, I can help you.

All manufacturers have their generic global On Board Diagnostics, as well as their manufacturer proprietary diagnostics. Most general and even foreign auto service shops won’t be able to access the manufacturer side of the diagnostics. Land Rovers are unique vehicles as they are very restrictive about who gets their software to diagnose their systems.

I suggest the first step is to find a Land Rover Specialty shop, or the dealer. They are likely the only ones who will have the diagnostic equipment to properly inspect, test, repair, or advise you as to the cause of the condition.

”TRANSMISSION FAULT LIMITES GEAR ONLY displayed after which the gear sticks in gear 3 and would remain there even if manual drive is selected.” Indicates that the transmission has gone into “limp” mode. This is to alert you that there is a problem and requires a visit to a repair facility very soon.

The first step in the “diagnostic process” is to interrogate the fault memory of the effected control module and retrieve the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) associated with the condition.

Once the code is retrieved the effected circuit, identified by the DTC, should be tested to determine the actual cause. The conclusive test results identifying the failure would be the “diagnosis”.

Sometimes a DTC is a “hard” or permanent fault. This is a DTC identifying a failed circuit, something that is failed all the time. If you erase the code the code returns immediately as the fault is “hard” or permanent. These DTCs are typically the easiest to repair as the correct test will typically identify the fault.

At other times the DTC is “intermittent”. An intermittent DTC is one that identifies a “failing” circuit. At times it may be failed, but at others it may be functioning properly. Typically these are more difficult to diagnose as if you test the circuit when the fault is not present, the circuit may pass the test at the time.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!

Jake “The Auto Doctor”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jake,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately for me, we have the same name (nickname) I have visited both the Land Rover Speciality Shop and Dealer and what I was told is that the fault was the ABS cable, the disc calliper, and master disc and so on. All of which I have changed but the problem persist.

At the moment, I am scared of taking the car to any other technician, without know what the issue is. I check the internet for solutions and I noticed that quite a lot of people have also reported the issue and that was how I got to justanswer.com.

No one has been able to say this is what the problem is and how to fix the issue. Please I would appreciate if you can give me more than you have given me, cos all I have done what you suggested and it’s still the same result, NOTHING CHANGED.

Hoping to hear from you sir.

Just to add, i read somewhere in one of the Range Rover forums that the issue might be related to the drivetrain (ZF 6HP28) and i also read another bulletin on TSB S100-10

In order to assist you I will need to know the specific DTCs stored in the Transmission control module, ABS and Engine modules. Could you please list them.

Thanks Jake (that is actually my nick name as well based on my last name)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow!!!!!! How and where would I find them?

Sorry for the delay I have been very busy at work today and had a lunch meeting.

If you have it to a dealer and a specialty shop, they should have both retrieved the codes already. It should be listed on your repair order. If not I suggest you call them and ask as that is what you already paid them for.

Return here with those specific code numbers and I will further assist you.

Thanks Jake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jake. I would that and get back to you. Thanks a billion.

Your welcome.

Talk to you then.

Jake
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jake,

I got your mail about questions been asked. I am yet to get the codes as requested but i would surely send them as soon as I get them.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Jakes

OK, I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Thanks Jake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jakes,

Happy new year to you and yours. Hope you had a great holiday?

Sorry I am just getting back to you with respect to the DTC codes for my car. I just got them and I would itemise them and send to you for the various systems that were tested.

Petrol EMS: U0073, U0126, U0102, U0138, U0128, U0155, U0504, U0151

Transmission: U0155, P0730, P079, P0735

EPB (Park Brake Module): U3000, U0122, U0155, U0100, U0402

Steering Wheel: U0122

Chassis: U0122, U0416, U0100

Please kind advice on what I need to change and how to go about it. I must say that I am really surprised that I got all this error DTC codes as I took the car to 5 different workshops and no one seems to know how to go about rectifying the problem. It has cost me both money and time to no avail. I would appreciate all the help I can get from you. Hoping to hear from you soonest.

Many thanks.

Jakes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jake,

Hope you are good? I am yet to hear any feedback from you.

Hoping to hear from you soonest.

Kind regards,

Jakes.

Sorry,

I regret that I am currently negotiating an urgent, personal matter that prevents me from participating on the question forum at this time. So I will "opt out".

Sorry and best of luck, but currently I have zero time to assist you.

Jake