Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

Local mechanic changed brake pads, rotors and greased bearings on the front of my vehicle.

Local mechanic changed brake pads, rotors and greased bearings on the front of my vehicle. What would the normal labor charge be for a job like this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

the labor charge or the time it should take is 2.0 to 2.5 hours max. It just depends what the labor rate is that the shop charges. Usually from 80 to 100 dollars an hour. For labor you are looking at max 250 dollars for labor.

Customer:

He is an individual. He does not work in a shop, does work at his house. Picked my car up at 8:30 a.m. and had it back by 11:30 a.m. Originally quoted us $400 for labor to change brake pads and rotors. When he got into it, he noticed the bearings needed greased so he was going to charge us an extra $150 for a total of $550.00

Steve :

hi

Steve :

That seems pretty high for labor. Especially for someone who does not own a shop.

Steve :

You could go to the dealer and get it done for half that price.

Customer:

That is what we thought. He says he is a certified mechanic but I still think it is too high. The town we live in is about 1800 in population and we were trying to keep our business local. I guess it didn't pay this time. Expensive lesson learned. And, that is with us driving 2 hours round trip to pick up the parts he needed.

Steve :

He is defiantly taking you for a ride. Probably he needs some extra dough for Christmas.

Steve :

For 550 dollars that should have included parts.

Steve :

plus tax which he did not charge because he did it at his house.

Customer:

Thanks for your input. We won't be using him again.

Steve :

Your welcome

Steve :

Please rate my answer with a smiley face, and press the green accept button. Thanks

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician