Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Suzuki Verona: What sensor do I need to replace to reset my

What sensor do I need to replace to reset my ignition my vehicle is a 2004 Suzuki Verona
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'XX do my best to answer your question.

Can you explain your question more. I'm not sure what you mean by "reset my ignition"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve - I purchased a 2004 Suzuki verona from insurance auction it was a thief recovery - they had the key but it would not start the car - so I towed it home - and changed the ignition assembly - which I orderd from Suzuki Carparts .com - new key everything . The key still will not turn - I called the dealership they say it is a sesnor and of course they will not tell me which sensor - they are saying maybe crank sensor - my mechanic does not believe that would be the correct sensor I need - I have undone battery . It is a sensor that needs to be reset but I doubt I can reset it so I will replace but I need to know which one . cause to tow to dealership , run diagnostic and then pay for part and labor for a auction car for my and kids to get around in is a bit much .
So the key won't even turn when you put it in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no we changed the ignition out a few night ago - put in the key and the car "responds" dash power lets you know key has been inserted but will not turn / crank - when I called dealership he said it is a sensor

So the key goes into the ignition but the key itself won't turn right?

This key has a chip in it right?

Did you replace the lock cylinder or the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed
both but yes it has a chip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the problem and the radio lights up and asks for code
OK. I can't get the code for you but I can opt out and let another Toyota tech do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am new at all of this but I am learning quickly it is a neccesity I live in the South and need a car . So the radio code is related to the same code or sensor controlling the ignition ?Or just generally a part of the same system ? And if it is a system type of issue will it require reprogramming or can I just change the sensor that is causing the fault ?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello - and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see your problems. The previous expert has opted out, so I will help you from here -

First - I need to just ask - to be absolutely clear so that I help you properly...

When you put the key in the ignition... and turn to the "start" position... do you have any lights at all on the dash, flashing rapidly ...??

Kind Rgds - MIKE............................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will have to double check what it does and get back to you . I feel like we are in differnt timezones ? Just curious but I am at work and away from vehicle and want to give you best info possible so you can guide me well . I will get back to you later on today . But if memory serve me - it goes in and is not turning at all
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again ,

Thank you for your reply...

Please let me know where you are up to - and if you still need help with this -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.............................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still need help key goes in but does not turn ignition at all . before I put in ignition it turn it . I have replaced the ignition assembly

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply..

I can only imagine then that the sensor they are referring to would be the "clutch" switch / sensor - as on this model, if I recall correctly, you have to press the clutch for the ignition to work -

That said- the ignition should physically turn - just not operate the starter motor - so if you can check that as above and clarify that -

Kind Rgds- MIKE..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is an automatic transmission

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there..

I wasn't aware of that ... In that case, its the brake switch / sensor for that "start system"...

Its not a case by the way of a "reset" - if it wont work or allow the engine to start, its faulty and needs replacing..

Rgds - MIKE..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike - just to recap this was a thief recovery that I purchased from a insurance auction . It was in perfect condition except it would not start - I gues it had been hot wired in the thief - I purchased and changed the whole ignition assembly along with new keys - that turn the ignition cylinder before I installed but once installed into the vehicle same problem - I cannot start the car . I spoke to the Suzuki dealership and I seperate mechanic the spoke of diagnostics , sensors , immobolizers and resets - but ultimately I kept coming back to some sensor and "reset". I looked on-line for "brake switch " sensor and cannot find anything with that name could it be also called a throttle sensor ? And again this is an automatic transmission - It this works I will be forever greatful -
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your message -

Its not anything to do with the throttle sensor no -

Given its an automatic - there is the possibility of the starter inhibitor system being your fault - ie, you know it has to be in Park ( or neutral) to allow the engine to start / ignition to be operated -

Has that side of things been considered / checked ?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet . I see brake switch sensors for toyotas and VW's but not for Suzukis - I will try asking at the auto parts store but have checked into the starter inhibitor system - car is park when I try to start and I have try to start it in neutral also - what components at there to the inhibitor system ?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again -

Thank you for that -

Ok - the part that Im referring to is called a Neutral Safety switch - Original Suzuki part number -(NNN) NNN-NNNN01. I dont have any fitting info - but this company HERE ( click the link ) can supply / help you there.

Thats the only component there -

From what you have described - that is what I would say from here, is what your cause of your faults are - -

By all means get back to me if you need on this..

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.