Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

My 1994 Nissan Altima will no longer start. It started off

My 1994 Nissan Altima will no longer start. It started off dying occassionaly but would always start up after a while. Now, it will not fire. It turns over fine but will not fire. Ive replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter. I've pulled the plugs and see that they are getting spark. I checked the fuel prcessure and with the key turned on (engine not running) it initally read 36 and Chilton indicated it should be 43. Is that enough off to warrant a fuel pump replacement? I originally thought there was moisture in the gas tank, however, I filled the tank and added a bottle of heat to the tank. No luck. I also noticed there was oil in the distributor and cleaned it out with break parts cleaner (no carb cleaner around). Any thoughts?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do still need help. I am confused by your web site and concerned that if I exit the site all the information will be lost. I have a day job so only available evenings.

No information will be lost of you exit,you can still log back in to check the replies and see your question.

With key on and engine off you should have 43 psi as my info indicates as well.It does sound like your fuel pump is weak and is causing this issue here and this can be a common fault as I have seen before.

Most likely the fuel pump on your vehicle needs replaced to correct this as well as the fuel filter.This can keep your vehicle from starting and even if it does start most likely it wont run properly.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In Chiltons, it shows a filter on the pump. Is it possible to change this filer and increase the fuel pressure or is my only alternative to replace the pump? Since the pump is $200+ is there anything else that I should check that might be less expensive to replace.

According to my info the only filter I show is one under the hood that connects to the throttle body on the engine in the fuel line.I don't see one on the fuel pump itself here,there may be a strainer on the pump but that usually comes with a new pump when replacing it.There isn't a way to increase the fuel pressure unfortunately to get it to run properly.You can start with replacing the fuel filter in case it is restricted and if it doesn't correct the issue most likely you will need a new fuel pump.

I hope this helps,thanks Pete.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,