Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

ram 2500: i just bought a 2004 dodge quad cab short box 2500

Customer Question

i just bought a 2004 dodge quad cab short box 2500 with the 5.9 i bought it because my dad has a 03 3500 and i love the power. one thing i noticed that is that mine cranks 2-3 seconds before it starts where as my dads starts immeditely. the 04 has 173000 miles on it. Is something starting to go out that is causing mine not to start immediately? Lift pump? Unfortainately the truck did not come with any gauges so I can not tell exactly what the engine is doing yet .
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Just wondering what is causing the delayed starting.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Has the fuel filter been checked or replaced recently and has the fuel system been checked for any kind of fuel leaks?

Have fault codes been checked in the computers in the vehicle at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure on the fuel filter being replaced. Last night I did go get new oil and oil and fuel filters to put in it. Ill have to check to see if any codes are being thrown. If no codes thrown and still does this after filter change would that leave the pump as the culprit ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I have seen restricted fuel filters that can cause this fault here as well as fuel leaks in some cases to where the injection pump isn't receiving the fuel it requires in some cases.If there are no codes set and if the fuel filter doesn't correct this issue then I would check the fuel lines over from the tank to the engine to make sure none are bent/kinked or damaged or leaking.If they are o.k. it may be possibly the injection pump may be at fault causing this but I would have this tested by a diesel repair facility or dealer to be sure.

This does sound like it is fuel related and in allot of cases it can end up being just a restricted fuel filter.

I hope this info has helped here,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help.Thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a chance yet to change the fuel filter. I'm planning on doing that on Saturday. Also will be checking the fuel lines as you recommended . I have read online some people have had some problems with their pressure relief valve on the fuel rail. I might check and see if I can tell if that is stuck open. Ill let you know what I find .
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good,thanks Pete.