Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Civis: Within the past couple of weeks my 2009 Honda Civic

Customer Question

Within the past couple of weeks my 2009 Honda Civic has had this periodic noise that sounds like static when you can't find a radio station. It occurs when the car is just started and disappears after driving for a while and doesn't happen all the time. If you step on the brake, the noise stops until you release the brake then it starts up again. It didn't happen at all on Sunday or today (Monday) so it is not happening all the time. Last Thursday the airbag light came on and stayed one (no noise experienced when this happened) but the next time I started the car, the airbag symbol didn't come on. However, it came on again Sunday evening and stayed on until I got home last evening but didn't come on this morning. I don't know if the airbag light and the noise have anything to do with each other but both are bothering me. I am planning to take my car to my repair guy tomorrow but he will want to hear the noise and I'm afraid it won't happen while he drives my car. He told me the airbag problem is something that I should address with my Honda dealer since this has been an issue with Honda's. Can you give me any advise on these concerns? Joanne

Forgot to mention the noise appears to be coming from under the hood on the passenger side of my car

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I still need help....you are the only one I have heard from so far

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Is this a loud static noise your hearing?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Pete.....it isn't loud at all and again I don't hear it all the time. Thanks for your help by the way.

Joanne

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,as for the air bag light this comes on to let you know a fault has been detected in the air bag computer in your vehicle.This can be a number of different components that can cause this type of fault here.What needs to be done for this is to have a shop or dealer read out the fault codes in the air bag computer with their scan tool and then it can be diagnosed to see what component is at fault and repaired from there.This is usually best done by a dealer as they have the most experience working with these issues and will have the proper test tools to test for the fault.

As for the noise if stepping on the brake stops this noise this sounds like it may be the ABS pump making this noise possibly as sometimes the abs pump/motor can run when there is a slippery surface and cause this noise or it may be possible there is some type of fault with the abs system.This may also be a ground issue for your audio system if it sounds like static.Its difficult to say for sure from here what is causing this issue and should be checked into by a shop or dealer to be sure.This may require leaving the vehicle for a period of time so the technician can duplicate and check for this noise when it happens.

I hope this info has helped in some way here,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete....I was thinking it might be the brakes. It hasn't been bad weather but it does seem to happen more often when the weather is cold even though the car is warmed up. Does that make any sense?

Joanne

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes,if there is a slippery surface on the road it can cause the abs to activate to control traction in some cases.I would have this checked into to be sure though.

Thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I took your answer to my repair guy today. He determined I needed new brake rotors and pads for both front and back brakes. He found the brake pads were moving and worn. It wasn't cheap but so far things sound much better.

I haven't addressed the airbag light yet however....hasn't come on again since Sunday evening. This is something I figure I can wait on but let me know if you disagree.

Thanks for your help Pete and for following up.

Joanne

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome,you can wait on the air bag issue for now but keep in mind this may affect the way the air bags are deployed in a collision so it is best to have it checked into as soon as you can.

Thanks Pete.