Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

GMC 2500 2500: I have a 1996 GMC 2500 pick up. It is not registered

I have a 1996 GMC 2500 pick up. It is not registered and used to plow my driveway. I have 2 questions:
1. The rear brakelines are rusted and leak, whats the best way to disable them without losing all the brake fluid?
2. There are 2 lines running out of the oil filter housing they are leaking as well, can I plug the inlet and outlet ports?

This vehicle gets used about 10 hours a year and doesn't go over 10mph.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been working on cars for over 10 years.

Did you still need help?

Are you trying to disable the rear brakes all together?

Or are you just trying to replace the rear brake lines?

Are you asking if you can plug the oil ports to stop this oil leak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to disable the rear brakes. I want to plug the ports on the filter housing. I can't simply put a bolt in the ports as the thread and size are priopriatory to GMC.

Thanks for the additional detail!

First, I would not recommend to disable the rear brakes as this could be very dangerous. To fix this correctly, you would replace the rear brake lines going to the rear brakes. This is very common and I do this all of the time.

But to answer your question., your best bet would be to just clamp off the rear hoses going to the rear brakes. This will stop all fluid flow and prevent the rear brakes from working without all of the mess.

It sounds like your talking about the oil filter housing lines. I would not recommend to disable or plug up these lines as these are very important for engine lubrication. If they are leaking, then they will need to be replaced.