Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

plymouth voyger: 2000 plymouth voyger 2.4 i put on a new water

Customer Question

2000 plymouth voyger 2.4 i put on a new water pump timing belt . i mess-up the timing. it turns over wont start. how do i start over and set timing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

did the timing belt break?

tims auto repair :

or,did you just replace it while you were doing the water pump?

Customer:

no yes replaced pump and belt

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

you must have got it out of time a little

tims auto repair :

i will give you instructions

Customer:

o k

tims auto repair :

CAUTION: Incorrect removal or installation of the timing belt can result in damage to internal engine components.

77_cr00carav_9-046a.png
Full Size Image

76_cr00carav_9-045b.png
Full Size Image

78_cr00carav_9-046b.png
Full Size Image

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL
1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
2. Remove right inner splash shield.
3. Remove accessory drive belts.
4. Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper.
5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.

73_cr00carav_9-044a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 83

6. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover (Fig. 83).
7. Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
8. Remove right engine mount and support bracket.

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

74_cr00carav_9-044b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 84

9. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) (Fig. 84).

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft marks to be misaligned (Fig. 84).

65_cr00carav_9-045a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 85

10. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner (Fig. 85). While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
11. Remove timing belt.

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replace. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure.

INSTALLATION
1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

76_cr00carav_9-045b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 86

2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Fig. 86).

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

77_cr00carav_9-046a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 87

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Fig. 87).
4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Fig. 87) to align marks and take up belt slack.

NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

5. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.

78_cr00carav_9-046b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 88

6. Once timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in (Fig. 88).
7. Install right engine mount and support bracket.
8. Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.).
9. Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.).
10. Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.).
11. Install crankshaft damper.
12. Install accessory drive belts.
13. Install right inner splash shield.
14. Install right front wheel.

tims auto repair :

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT

89_cr03liber_9-058a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 102 Camshaft Sprocket Alignment

2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.

90_cr03liber_9-058b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 103 Timing Belt Installation - Typical

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.
4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.

91_cr03liber_9-059a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 104 Timing Belt Tension Adjustment

5. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang. Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock nut to 25 Nm (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock nut is torqued.
6. Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.

NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

92_cr03liber_9-059b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 105 Crankshaft And Camshaft Timing

7. Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner adjusted, rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position.

93_cr03liber_9-059c.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 106 Timing Belt Tension Verification

8. Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window. If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.

tims auto repair :
Customer:

i have a haynes repair manual that shows all timing marks but it look like a mark on the exhaust sprocket.i took off the belt with a wrench i turned the exhaust to the right mark. i also turned the intake sprocket . the picture shows each sprocket with arrows up and the word up i turned them a couple . in this motor should i find t. d. c. on no. one plug i did not .

tims auto repair :

when you alighn the crank

tims auto repair :

it is at tdc

tims auto repair :

align

Customer:

o k

tims auto repair :

if it ran before you replaced the belt

tims auto repair :

there is no doubt that you have it out now

tims auto repair :

do it as the instructions above...it will be right

Customer:

no

tims auto repair :

?

Customer:

no i never tried to start it

tims auto repair :

?

tims auto repair :

it ran before thewater pump wasreplaced,,,right?

Customer:

yes it did

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

sense it doesnt run now,,i would think it is out of time

tims auto repair :

set the time per instructions above

Customer:

would it start with out the alternator running

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

o.k. would the computer be coded out u think ?

tims auto repair :

?

tims auto repair :

as long as it is put back in time..it should run

tims auto repair :

it wouldnt have anything to do with the computer

Customer:

o k i guess i will try to set time again . would it start with out the other belt on?

tims auto repair :

yes..when it is in time

tims auto repair :

it will start without the drive belt

tims auto repair :
Customer:

thank you tim ,its cold out there

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.