Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

passion: My smart has beenstood for some weeks and having driven

My smart has beenstood for some weeks and having driven it today find that thebrake lights are not working! Any ideas?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I'm still waiting.

Have you checked anything like fuses or bulbs at all?

Are all of the brake lights not working?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for responding. Yes all the brake lights are NOT working and no I haven't checked the fuse! I hadn't given this a thought (not at all mechanically minded!). I suppose I had better get the manual and see where the fuse box is before asking any further questions. I did have a similar problem a couple of years ago and took the car to a local Smart/Mercedes garage who replaced a 'microswitch' just wondere if it might be that again and if so is it a DIY job?

Steve

I would check and make sure all fuses are good in the vehicle once you have located the fuse box(s).If one is found blown then it should be replaced.It may be possible this micro switch is faulty again which may be your brake switch or it may even be wiring at fault causing this issue.These would need checked into/tested best done by a shop or dealer to see which is at fault due to the difficulty of this question here if your fuses are o.k.

It's difficult to say for sure from here what exactly is causing this fault without seeing the vehicle and sometimes the best choice is to have a shop or dealer check into this to see if they can locate the issue.

I hope this has helped,thanks Pete.