Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Nissan/Datsun Qashqai: my nissan quashqai heater does not work

my nissan quashqai heater does not work properly. It only functions when the car is moving. When stationary, it will only blow air to the outside ambient temperature, hence, defrost functions do not work. Where should i be looking as i dont trust Nissan dealers
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes please Pete

do you need any further information?

russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
There is no answer!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

If once the engine has warmed up if you rev up the engine slightly or somewhat when the engine is running and the vehicle is parked will the heater or air start to heat up more?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete

No, i have tried that, (unfortunatelty at 6am when i was trying to defrost it, much to my neighbours dismay).

russ

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Can you locate the heater hoses going into the heater core on the firewall and see if when the engine is fully warmed up and the heater is on is one very warm or hot to the touch and one allot cooler to the touch.

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

I will have to have a look and maybe check with a manual to locate them. I have not realy looked under the bonnet of this car before, any clues where??

front rear left or right hand side.

Russ

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the exact spot for sure on this vehicle where these two hoses are located,usually they will be the only two heater/coolant hoses entering the interior of the vehicle to the heater core.

Let me know when you can,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have located the hoses.

When i go for a run, both hoses are warm/hot, but when i stop and let the engine idle for a while, one of them goes cold quite quickly

russ

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

O.k. this usually indicates that the heater core itself is restricted causing this issue.When at low speeds or idle speeds the coolant is flowing slowly through these hoses then when driving the coolant is pushed through much faster making it cold at lower speeds and warm at higher speeds.

In most cases this can be corrected with a coolant and heater core flush.I would make sure the heater core is flushed on its own and any shop or dealer can do this for you.You can also do this yourself by removing both of these hoses from the firewall and clamp the hoses off to avoid major loss of coolant,then take a garden hose and flush through one heater core port for around 15 seconds and go to the other port and repeat until you have good flow,then reinstall the hoses and top off the coolant and see if the heater operates properly then.Do this with a cold engine.

I hope this info had helped here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.