Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

chev 1500: 88 tbi truck falls on its face after about half

Customer Question

88 tbi truck falls on its face after about half throttle when warmed up eliminated the air pump and installed 94 motor
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

doesit run well when it is cold?/

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer:

seems to run better havent run it much took a test drive on the hwy and it accelerated up to about 50 then fell on its face popped a couple times and i headed back to the shop kinda acted like fuel pump on carburated unit we also put a new fuel filter on it previously no light scanned it and it said no stored codes

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

did you test the regulated fuelpressure while driving the truck?

Customer:

not sure if we confused it by eliminating air pump no havent checked regulated pressure

tims auto repair :

no,,the pump wouldnt do this

tims auto repair :

does it idle well?

Customer:

thinkin we might try different tbi unit if we can find one around the shop idles a little fast but not excessive

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it does seem to be not getting enough fuel

Customer:

u thinkin pressure regulator

tims auto repair :

test the pressure while driving

tims auto repair :

i am thinking more like the fuel pump

tims auto repair :

the fuel pump may be getting hot and weak

tims auto repair :

you need to test the fuel pressure while you are driving..

Customer:

thats what i was thinkin hmmm just like the old ones lol i live in alaska and have several older trks

tims auto repair :

if the fuel pressure falls below 9psi

tims auto repair :

then you will know it is in the fuel

tims auto repair :

either the pump or regulator

Customer:

we havent fabbed up the test connecter but it looks like we will be

tims auto repair :

these tbi regulators were not bad about going bad

tims auto repair :

yes,,just put a "t" at the filter

Customer:

our test was done at filter

tims auto repair :

to connect your gage

tims auto repair :

that will work

tims auto repair :

but,,you need to test the pressure while driving and when it is acting up

tims auto repair :

if the pressure drops

tims auto repair :

then check the head pressure of the pump

tims auto repair :

if it is ok,,then,the regulator may be bad

tims auto repair :

or,the injectors may need to be took apart and cleaned

tims auto repair :

but,,i think it is a bad pump

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.