sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Jaguar XK8: 2006 XK8 conv. air bag warning lt. comes on shortly

2006 XK8 conv. air bag warning lt. comes on shortly after starting. Used to flash, sometimes go off -- now stays on most of the time.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you know what fault codes have set by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I don't have a code reader. I was hoping to find out things I could check without going back to the dealer.

The one thing that you could do without any equipment is make sure all fuses are ok. If a fuse that powers any part of the system is blown then it will cause the light to come on.

Other than that the first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a capable scan tool to see what fault codes have stored in the airbag module and go from there. When the module sees a problem somewhere in a monitored component it will set a fault code and turn on the warning light. Depending on what fault code is set then electrical testing will need to be done from there.

Possible causes could be anything from the driver, passenger or side airbags, impact sensors, the airbag module, seatbelt pretensioners, wiring between any of the components, and if you have an occupant classification system it could be related to the seat weight or position sensors.

To answer your other question, yes it's very dangerous living with the airbag light on, especially if you don't know why it's on. Certain conditions could cause the bags to deploy erroneously, and most conditions that will turn the light on also cause the module to prevent airbag deployment. If the airbag light is staying on it's definitely something that needs to be taken care of quickly for safety reasons.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience