Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

Any experience replacing the shocks on a 96 Rolls Royce Silver

Any experience replacing the shocks on a 96 Rolls Royce Silver Spur ? Have had several answers and quotes; all very painful.
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Are you replacing all 4? Any problems with the suspension?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replacing all four shocks and 4 stabilizer bushings, stabilizer links ( all 4 ),all four wheel bearings.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
OK due to the hydraulic system for the suspension dampers i can see why the painful cost of the install. it is very time consuming process. it is not for the layman person to do.
bleeding the system is a major part and if there is something else wrong that has to be replaced or repaired. the hyd pumps are key. if they are leaking you have to fix that first before continuing !!!
these pumps are located on the engine under the plenum of the intake manifold
do you know of any hyd leaks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car is parked for several days, there is some green fluid on the floor.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Ok that has to be corrected first. Is the leak in the front or the rear of the car and what side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The leak was in the middle and under the rear of the engine. I took it to my local mechanic and he cleaned the underside of the engine to get a better idea of where the leak might be coming from. That was three days ago and there has been no leaking since. I am thinking that there may have been too much mineral oil put in and that was the excess bleding out. ( That is a guess ). I drove the car about 30 miles on Saturday. No fluid on pavement before or after drive.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
that is the normal brake pump leaking and that is rebuildable . the seals internally needs to be replaced and then bleed off. do that first !!! i hate for you to replace the shocks/struts it the brake pumps is the issue here. note the suspension will sag a bit if the vehicle is not used for longer periods of time. the brake pump rebilding i will take all day than replacing shocks/struts any day less expensive on parts.
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.