Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Nissan/Datsun Pathfinder 4x4: What should the resistance be

What should the resistance be on the 4wd switch which is situated on the side of the transfer case on my R50 Nissan Pathfinder?

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Pete. yes plese.

I have measured 9.85 k Ohms when the 4wd is engaged with the switch unplugged. if I plug in the switch and engage the 4wd, fuse 8 blows and the instrument cluster goes dead. I need to know what the resistance of the switch should be so that I can be sure of the diagnosis and order the part. many thanks

I think one of the reasons why you have not had a professional respond is because this is a very difficult question, and there are few professions who have worked with this type of issue here.

What I suggest at this point is to contact a shop/dealer look into this to see if they can tell you what the resistance should be for this switch so it can be tested to see if the switch itself is at fault or if there is another component possibly at fault causing this.If your vehicle has an electronic actuator on the transfer case I have seen these short internally and blow fuses like this on several vehicles before and may be the cause here but this would need to be checked/tested best done by a shop or dealer with he correct test equipment.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but I do hope this has helped in some way, thanks Pete.
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Thanks again. there is no electronic actuator. its a manual 4wd selector but auto transmission. the switch is a two wire switch similar to a reverse light switch and located on the side of the transfer case. think that this is only used to inform the gearbox ecu that the car is in 4wd and to indicate to the driver on the cluster of the same.

I will buy a new switch during the week and measure it to see what it should be. once I know, I will let you know. it may be useful to other site users.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pete

The old switch is part number 32006Q and measured 2.7 M Ohm when the 4wd is engaged. The plunger on the switch was also stuck.

The new switch is superceded to 32005-01w1A and measures 0.3 ohms when the 4wd is engaged.

Installing a new 4wd switch solved the issue of fuse 8 blowing when 4wd engaged.

Kind regards
Thats great to hear the fault has been resolved.Let us know if you need anything else in the future,thanks Pete.