Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

GMC Jimmy 4x4 (Mid Size): Bought a 82 GMC 6.2L diesel, I drove

Bought a '82 GMC 6.2L diesel, I drove it for couple of week and now I have a hard time starting it. When I start the engine successfully it runs but when I shut the engine and start the engine again after 30 minutes, what the engine does it start 30 seconds, I try to rev it up but the engine start to stall and goes down and when you insist on staring it, it will just drain your battery. What should I do? Please help me.
Category: Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long should i wait. I thought the mechanic is on duty. I had used different technic in solving the problem, i think my experience is not yet enough.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete, yes I still need your help, can you really solve the problem, see Below the problem. Thanks.

>when I had a good start of the engine, it give me no problem but sometimes...

>when the engine starting to stall & try to rev it up again to prevent from stalling & it is not a success, then I find it hard to start the engine again.

>I check the fuel line there is no leak.

Please solve my problem

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Has the fuel filter been replaced at all recently?

If this vehicle has a hand primer pump if you pump it up will it start up then?

If this vehicle has an electric lift pump to pump fuel to the injection pump do you hear the lift pump run at all when it wont start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The filter newly replace. It had a hand pump if manually hand pump it it will start. I install a electric fuel pump. It has its original mechanical fuel pump.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying you have installed an electric fuel pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, install a electric pump, I turn off the electric pump if the engine stabilize. anyway the electric pump is a free flow if it is not running, and still there is a mechanical pump installed in the engine. In the past I do not have the electric pump and when the engine start to stall I should immediate park it on the roadside to rev it up to prevent from stalling at the time I put the electric pump it do help me a lot, but the problem remain the same.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a lack of fuel here causing this issue,it may be the electric pump is weak and isn't allowing enough fuel to the engine or that there may be a restriction in the fuel flow from the fuel tank to the main injection pump on the engine.I would checked and make sure there are no fuel line restrictions,if none are visible it may be possible the strainer in the fuel tank may be plugged up partially and is causing this as well.

Due to the difficulty of this question here it may be best to have a shop or dealer look into/test this to see what the fault is and then it can be corrected from there as this may require some testing with their tools.This does sound like it is a lack of fuel but determining what is at fault can be difficulty in some cases from here.

I hope this info has helped in some way,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuel tank strainer is new and the tank is clean. I do not see any restriction on the fuel line. Do i need to know any fuel pressure required by the engine?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately my info is very limited on this vehicle with this engine due to the year of the vehicle here.This may be best to have checked/tested by a shop or dealer to see if they can locate the component or cause at fault here so it can be corrected.I don't show any fuel pressures in my info as well.If you want I can opt out and put this question back on the list to see if any other experts can assist more,they may or may not be able to.Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I plan to replace the rubber fuel line to a transparent poly vinyl hose just to see if the fuel is running smoothly to the engine. Sir what do you think?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This may be a good idea just to check and make sure the fuel is o.k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir please give couple of days to do it. I will revert asap.

Your suggestion are good and I had try it already. I seek the help of the auto shop here but what they said, they will do elimination to solve the problem. I will study your advice carefully again.

Do you think, is there any problem with my injection unit and the nozzle?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There is a chance the injection pump is acting up intermittently and causing this as well as some can act up intermittently like this.I would ask the shop/dealer if they will or can test this pump when the vehicle is acting up,it does need tested when acting up to see if it is at fault.If it is tested when the engine is running properly then it will test o.k.

If the pump does test faulty then it would need replaced.The injection pumps were a common component to fail and can cause this type of fault here.

Thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.