Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

2002 SC430....my water bottle (surface) shows vibration at

Customer Question

2002 SC430....my water bottle (surface) shows vibration at stop, when in gear.
Is transmission mounts, can they be adjusted?
What is the low cost fix?
Regards,
Noel
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail. Thanks

Toyota Service :

You have had the SC's vibration diagnosed, and the recommendation was transmission mounts?

Toyota Service :

Is this correct? Thanks

Customer:

I am on a subscription plan,,,,,no charge.

Customer:

I am on a subscription plan, therefore no charge.This is my analysis.

Toyota Service :

Yes. I see that you are a subscriber

Toyota Service :

The analysis is the transmission mount, yes?

Customer:

My unprofessional analysis, yes.

Toyota Service :

Thanks for the reply

Toyota Service :

If the transmission mount has lost its resiliency, you can and will get vibrations. That is why the mount is there, to absorb vibrations. Over time, and, in this case, 10 years, the rubber in the mount is not as pliable, and can no longer absorb the inherent vibrations. Thusly, you can now feel and see the vibration.

Toyota Service :

To answer your initial question, I am sorry, but, no; they cannot be adjusted. The issue at hand is the mount no longer being capable of absorbing the vibrations.3

Customer:

Is this a danger or just an inconvenience?'What are the options for me?

Toyota Service :

The recommendation here is to replace the mount. It is about 90 dollars plus installation

Toyota Service :

Not a danger; just an inconvience

Toyota Service :

Part number 12371-50200. a bit over 1/2 hour labour to replace

Customer:

Total cost?

Customer:

Thanks/.

Toyota Service :

That is hard to estimate, as different areas have different labour rates. In my shop, the job would be about 130 dollars

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome. Glad to help out on this. Do you have any other questions for me today? Thanks

Toyota Service :

One word of advice on this: If it is just a minor vibration, if left unattended, (the mount not replaced), the vibration will get much worse over time, as the mount continues to lose its resilience

Toyota Service :

I would recommend replacing the mount.

Toyota Service :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Thanks

Customer:

Do you have experience with 2002 SC430 3rd brake light?

Toyota Service :

I have some experience there; what is the issue?

Customer:

Do you have 2002 SC430 3rd brake light experience? It does not work, although the other tail lights do and relevant fuses appear to be OK. And Lexus report a short. But the assembly is not listed for a bulb replacement and the assembly is stuck with double-sided tape to the body.

Customer:

Do you have SC430 third light experience?

Toyota Service :

A short? I disagree with a short. A short would result in blown fuses.

Toyota Service :

If all the fuses are good, there is either an open circuit (broken wire) on the White-Green wire leading to the 3rd brake light, a broken withe/black wire, or a problem in the luggage compartment rear panel computer. I would be looking for a broken wire before I did anything else

Toyota Service :

sorry for the typos

Customer:

I conclude that fuse #13 and/or 14 in the driver's side kick panel box are the relevant ones?

Toyota Service :

The White-green is the power wire, the White-black is the ground wire

Customer:

These are OK.

Toyota Service :

If the fuses are ok, you do not have a 'short'.

Toyota Service :

If the light is inoperative, you have an 'open', ie no power reaching the lamp

Customer:

Yes, I have removed the trunk lining and examined these and they seem OK

Toyota Service :

Did you use a test light to probe the white/green wire?

Customer:

Could it simply be a bad bulb or bulb housing?

Customer:

I am not experienced with testing...what do I need?

Toyota Service :

If you have power in the white/green wire, and a ground on the white/black wire, this issue lies with the bulb or the socket of the lamp

Toyota Service :

A 12 volt testlight would be fine for the white/green wire

Toyota Service :

An ohm-meter would be needed for the white/black wire

Customer:

Can the assembly be opened to check the bulb?

Toyota Service :

If I remember correctly, the assembly cannot be opened. I might be wrong on that, It has been quite a few years since I diagnosed this issue. The last one I did had a bad wire connection.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
Thanks for choosing Just Answer.