Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Hello, I have a 2002 Astro van with 4.3L and 240,000 miles.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2002 Astro van with 4.3L and 240,000 miles. One of the valve springs and lifter was broke so I replaced it and now the van runs at a rough idle. Won't start unless you give it some gas. Will only stay running with foot on the gas whether hot or cold. Any suggestions on where to start?
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 years ago.
Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!
First step is to do a compression check on all cylinders but pay attention to the one you replaced the lifter and spring.
If the spring has broke there is a good possibility that either the valve adjustment is wrong or a bent valve.
Do you have a pic of the lifter that you have replaced? If so can you post it to here so I can get a view of it. Thanks