Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

96 Mercury Villager. Power steering got rough, and fluid

96 Mercury Villager. Power steering got rough, and fluid was low. Added fluid, quieted down, then low again. Added stop leak fluid. Got much better, than now much worse. Whining, difficult to steer.Worth diagnosing further, or just replace power steering pump?Thanks!
Hi there!
If you are losing fluid, then you first want to diagnose where you are losing the fluid. Just replacing the pump may solve the noise issue but only until it gets low on fluid again.
So, first find and fix the leak, then if the pump continues to be noisy replace the pump.
Hope this helps!
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have looked for but not seen fluid underneath vehicle where it is parked. Is there anywhere in particular that this vehicle would be leaking, or just start at pump and trace hoses?
I would start at the pump, but it's also possible the fluid is leaking into the boots on the rack and pinion,so check there as well. If you haven't been under the van, you might find that the fluid is leaking out and blowing back under the van while driving. This might not leave a normal puddle like you might expect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I'll check and then get back with what I find. I probably won't be able to look at the vehicle until the weekend.
No problem at all, I will be on this weekend so please let me know if you need further assistance.