Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech
28531106

I have a 1991 cherokee 4WD with the 4.0L I6. I have the following

I have a 1991 cherokee 4WD with the 4.0L I6. I have the following issues right now, first is trouble code 41 which is "alternator field not switching properly". Do I need a new alternator or a switch or what?
second is 54 which is "distributor sync pickup".
I rebuilt the motor using a Comp cam, springs, rods and lifters. I put in a brand new distributor as well. It started on the first crank, I ran it for the break in period and a few errands. The next day it started just fine, I got two blocks away and it just shut off. THis is the first time I got the code 54.
I got a new distributor, before I put it in I talked to Comp, they said that timing wouldnt change with the new cam, to use TDC, and that they think that the cam was the cause. I put the new distributor in, it started fine, I ran a couple errands and now it just cranks and I have both codes.
I need to know what is causing it to kill distributors.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Does the engine have spark when cranking it over?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you saying that you used a different camshaft all together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert asked me questions that had already been answered in the original text.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JA. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online auto and truck tech.

Did the distributor gear look chewed up and/or seen to have a funny wear pattern to it?

Thanks, Lee
code 54 is a no sync pick up pulse detected.
need to know do you have spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gears didn't show wear at all. Total run time on both distributors was less than an hour each. I assume that it has spark because I replaced the ignition coil and it would run long enough to strand me somewhere, but, what's the best way to check spark?
pull a plug insert screw driver into boot hold approx 1/2 from ground and have someone crank engine over. Can you see a good blue spark?
Engine will try to start?
Or not start at all now?
Did you clear the codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine cranks but won't start. It's OBD I, I don't have a reader to clear them so it only clears codes when I fix deficiencies. It'll be a few hours till I can check the spark.

No problem, you can disconnect battery on ODB 1 to clear the codes safely. I want to see if the codes come back as you crank the engine over. Thanks for your help.
Lee

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared the codes, did what you said but didn't see a spark. While it was cranking you could hear it bogging down like the battery was dying. When I checked the codes after all I got was the 54.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared the codes, tried what you said but didn't see a spark. When I checked again I got code 54.
ok thank you for doing this for me so 54 is a hard fault problem going to give you a test to find out what is going on give me 30 mins to gather this up for you.
Thank you, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been a few days, what's the next test?
Sorry i sent you the information on this. I will get this back up and send to you. Thank you for replying to me about what is the next test.

give me a sec and will send to you. when you get it please let me know,Leon
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've got the diagrams
NS 6bgraphicgraphic
Ok thank you for your reply. I am here til 10pm, so let me know what you find, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wires on my harness were different colors, the orange one tested at 9v, the black one at .01v, and the yellow one at 5v. I also did the spark test with the wire that comes off of the the Ignition Module to the distributor. I tried two different ones and got no spark.harness

sorry my hard drive crashed - I am partially up and running - two days to go, til i am fully up and online. I read your information and will be with you as soon as the manuals are back online.

Cheers, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gotta get this thing running, any ideas?
Thank you for replying i lost you - listen i have to sign off i will be back in the morning. And we are going to tackle this problem. Again thank you for responding back so the question will pop back to me. Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds good to me
OK did you change the OEM distributor with an aftermarket one to beef the engine up so to speak? I seen you put a comp cam in and wondering what else you changed? Trying to figure out why no-spark.

Need to know what else you changed ? Thank you, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the distributor and ignition coil with OEM replacements from auto zone. The ECU is a new/rebuilt one I ordered. The starter is new, not sure about the alternator (could the alternator problem be causing this?) the water pump, thermostat and temp sending unit are new. Speed sensor in the tranny is new. Plugs and wires are new.
ok re fresh time -- the engine turns over- correct?

but no spark - the alternator has nothing to do with the spark other than keep engine running. On n the no start test - did you complete it and what are the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turns but doesn't fire. When I put a new distributor in it'll run for about an hour. If the no start test was the one where I checked for codes, they both came back immediately.
No - the NS-6B test is the no-start test -- with the pulse sync? what did this test determine, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one I did with the voltmeter? The wire colors were different so I sent you a pic of mine, they all tested above what you said, I don't have the numbers with me tho. Can you not see the whole thread on here?

graphicOK thank you I cleared my cache and see the thread. I need you to check the crank shaft sensor - see image and follow the instructions. Leon

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The instructions say to check it at operating temp. Is there a resistance for checking it cold, if I just replace it will that solve my issue?

it may or may not the crank is responsible for telling the computer when to fire # XXXXX of the firing order. We know the distributor is OK - the wiring to distributor is OK - voltage to distributor is OK - You rechecked all your work, connections, and all - so this is Primary now the Secondary ignition is what we have a problem with, NO fire to the plugs and that is the computer is not dropping ground or seeing a sense from crank shaft sensor. That is fine, but i hate for you to spend more money.

Also, the cam sensor is new cause it comes with distributor. Try it if you like.

Too, is the distributor rotor turning and aligned? How to check this is to pull # XXXXX spark plug turn engine over to where #1 piston is at top dead center (use a plastic straw to see when the piston is all the way up) and see where the rotor is pointing. If it is not pointing at number one then reset distributor to number one post on distributor cap.

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Listen i need you to rate me before we loose touch can you do this for me - We have been through a lot together and hate to loose ya as a customer of mine for another expert to start fresh with you. Your choice? Thank you, Leon
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The diagram you and google gave me say that the crank shaft sensor sits on top of the transmission housing. I havent changed it so it is probably original, 20 years and 225k miles, Im gonna guess its bad. , I set TDC every time I put a new distributor in but Ill check it when I get the sensor.