Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  30 Years Automotive Experience GM/ASE Master Tech

RA-JM

Customer Question

I have a 2001 isuzu trooper with torque on demand automatic trans. The front propeller shaft was removed to replace the trans, this was done by disassembling the joint at the front differential. The joint does not want to go back together without it being bound up. Any suggestions.
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer and Pearl.com for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Unfortunately the U-joint is failed and will require replacement. When the shaft was removed it moved out of it’s normal range and the needle bearing(s) inside the joint failed. Luckily they are available separately so you will not need to replace the drive shaft. While inconvenent this is a blessing in disguise as had it not failed now, it would likely have failed in the near future and also likel not as conveniant.

While they are replaceable I do not recommend this to the DIY mechanic unless you have already done them. However what you can do is remove the drive shaft yourself and then take it to a machine shop and have them replace the joint for you. Many Napa Parts stores have an in house machine shop. They could supply you the part and install it for you. Another option would be to do an internet search of "driveline repair" and the closest big city and you could contact them for an estimate. Be sure to tell them it has torque on demand like you did here because they are different.

With torque on demand the OEM part number for the front joint would be 8-97211-133-0 and retail for $95. I imagine they should be available in the aftermarket but if not you could get one from a Honda dealer.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jake

It is apparent you are not familiar with the vehicle in question. The front joint on the propeller shaft does not have needle bearings. This joint is similar to a cv joint with 6 ball bearings. By the way I have 20 years automotive experiance, the only problem is I have never encountered a joint like this one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is not a typical u joint with needle bearings. This joint has 6 round bearing set up more like a typical cv joint. The ball bearings have a cage on the outside and a star type center that the driveshaft goes into. The bearings piviot in opposite directions on assy. I do believe Honda uses a similar joint on at least 1 of thier suvs. The differantial requires dissasembly to remove the bell portion of the joint and I cannod believe this joint cannot go back together in the vehicle.

Sorry about that. Did you disassemble the joint when you had it apart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only way to get the drive shaft out is to disassemble it as I said to take the cup part of the joint out you have to disassemble the front differential which I did not do.

Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Is this what you have?

graphic