Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  30 Years Automotive Experience GM/ASE Master Tech

INTERNATIONAL 3800 series: I HAVE A 2001 INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2001 INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL BUS WITH A 466E DIESEL ENGINE. THIS VEHICLE WAS BEHAVING ERRATICALLY IN THAT IT WOULD OPERATE FOR VARIOUS PERIODS ( EG. 30 MINUTES OR 50 MINUTES OR 2 HOURS, 10 MINUTES ).
NO CODES SHOWED UP ON THE GENISYS SCAN TOOL, SO THE MECHANIC PRESUMED THAT IT WAS A FUEL PROBLEM. AFTER CONDUCTING VARIOUS TESTS, HE REMOVED THE FUEL LINES FROM THE FUEL TANK , EXTENDED SAME AND USING ANOTHER CONTAINER FILLED WITH DIESEL FUEL, ATTEMPTED TO START THE ENGINE.
THE MECHANIC INFORMS ME THAT A LOUD KNOCKING SOUND COMES FROM THE ENGINE WHEN HE ATTEMPTS TO START SAME.
I HAVE RECEIVED TWO DIFFERENT OPINIONS FROM MECHANICS. ONE IS THAT MY MECHANIC , IN ERROR, USED GASOLINE INSTEAD OF DIESEL FUEL IN THE SECONDARY CONTAINER. THE OTHER MECHANIC SAYS THAT THERE IS AIR IN THE FUEL LINES.
PLEASE ADVISE WHO IS RIGHT. TKS
Category: Car
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Wicked Wrench :

I would first verify that the tech is NOT using gasoline to run the engine. Immediate damage will result from doing this. The other tech is correct in stating that air in the system will create a knock as well. The key is to bleed out as much air in the supply lines as possible. MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING DIESEL FUEL TO START THIS ENGINE! Also, DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID OR EITHER TO START THE ENGINE!! Use WD 40 or Silicone Lube sprayed into the intake to get to fire over. Do you know where the air bleeds are on the fuel system to purge the air from it? I will research this while I await your response.

Wicked Wrench :

There should be a hand pump on the filter housing. This needs to be pumped until it is hard & no more movement is aplicable. The air bleed should be located close by the pump lever, & possibly at the end of the fuel injector rail. Both these bleeds should emit a solid stream of fuel with no bubbles.

Customer:

SIR/MADAM:

Wicked Wrench :

Yes?

Customer:

THE MECHANIC STATES THAT HE HAS PUMPED NUMEROUS TIMES BUT IT DOES NOT GET HARD. DOES THIS MEAN THAT GASOLINE HAS RUINED THE SEALS?

Wicked Wrench :

Did you verify that the fuel previously used was gasoline?

Customer:

HE SAYS THAT HE DID NOT USE GASOLINE.

Wicked Wrench :

Ok, then I highly doubt the seals are ruined. How many miles on this unit & have you ever had any service work done to the fuel injectors or pump before?

Customer:

THE SPEEDO SHOWS 190,365 KMS. ( 118,978MILES) .I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE RECENTLY FROM A BUS DEALER IN QUEBEC AND DON'T HAVE ANY SERVICE RECORDS.

Wicked Wrench :

I suspect the Fuel Injectors are leaking down due to wear. Can you turn the engine CAREFULLY over using the starter to see if the engine turns smoothly? If you only get a partial revolution & the crankshaft stops turning, DO NOT continue to crank. This would confirm leaking fuel injectors hydrolocking the combustion chambers. If it does rotate relatively freely, I would next try to block off the fuel return lines & use the hand pump again to build pressure. If you cannot build pressure, & see no external leaking of fuel, the Pump & Injectors need to be serviced.

Wicked Wrench, ASE Master Certified
Experience: 30 Years Automotive Experience GM/ASE Master Tech
Hi jprcrpr,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Wicked Wrench!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WICKED WRENCH:
THIS IS Customer. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE 466E IN THE SCHOOL BUS. IT APPEARS THAT MY MECHANICS ARE BACK TO SQUARE ONE. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BEING IS THAT THIS TIME FOUR (4) CODES ARE SHOWING UP ON THE GENISYS SCAN TOOL.THESE ARE 111, 164, 247. AND 254. UNFORTUNATELY I'VE MISPLACED A LISTING THAT A FRIEND OF MINE GAVE ME. THIS BUS WILL OPERATE FOR VARIOUS PERIODS AND THEN SHUT DOWN. CAN YOU HELP?