jrloar
jrloar, ASE Master Cert
Experience:  ASE Master Certification
23900771

Plymouth Fury ii: Hi. I drive a 66 Plymouth Fury 2. It has

Hi. I drive a 66 Plymouth Fury 2. It has a 318 5.2 L w a original Stromberg 2 barrel carburetor. The part number is XXXXX The carburetor clutch will not open when I crank the engine, but it's getting fuel. About 4 psi. The clutch will not open, except by hand, and the car will not start. I've replaced points, rotor, battery, starter, solenoid, distributor cap, spark plugs, electric coil, and condenser. The car will start if I have someone turn her over while holding carb butterfly open, though. But she runs really rough, gas splashes out, and I have to hold throttle open. I'm sure I need to adjust fuel/air mix, but Idk if this would cause the clutch to not open. If anybody can please help, I would really appreciate it. Btw, car is automatic, if that matters. Thanx

-Furious over Fury ii

jrloar :

How long has this car sat?

jrloar :

It sounds like the carburetor is flooding out. This is caused by the floats sticking. And thats caused by the vehicle not being ran often or for a long time. The choke will not open until the engine warms up.

jrloar :

Any luck as of yet?

Customer:

ss, ww ii kk mm bb. oo, i tt sa tt cc

Customer:

SORRY, PHONE WAS PLAYED W BY 5 YR OLD. HOW DO I GET THE CAR TO WARM UP IF SHE WONT STAY STARTED? SHE HAS SET FOR A WHILE, THOUGH. HOW DO I PREVENT THIS WITHOUT LOSING THE CARB? AND, HOW DO I FIX THE FLOAT FROM STICKING?

jrloar :

you will need to rebuild the carb to solve the problem. After you rebuild it then it will run and the choke should work properly. If the car sets for long periods of time then the best way to keep the carb from gumming up it to dump a little Sta Bil in the breather tube for the floats after each time you run it if it is going to sit for any period of time.

Customer:

Ok. iI tt tt op ttt ww aammm ll yy kk hhow ii ww oo. r

Customer:

Thanx. I'll give thay a ttand let u know how it turns out. Any advice on how to pPP hh tt cc bb uu? AA ww aa aa ss?

Customer:

ill try it tomorrow and let u know how it turns out. Any pointers on how to PROPERLY hook

Customer:

this carb up? And what about adjustment screws?

jrloar :

You run the idle jets all the way in. Back them out about 2 full turns. Then after you start it you turn them in one at a time until the engine just starts to idle down. Then back the out about 1/4 turn. It is possible you will need to go out more than 2 turns for it to run correct.

Customer:

• I tried that and now she will start, but wont stay ser

Customer:

stay started w/ out slight pressurw applied to gas. plus, there is a pinging noise from engine when accelerating. maybe timing?