Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

suzuki XL7: i have a 2003 suzuki XL7. i went and got my oil

i have a 2003 suzuki XL7. i went and got my oil and transmission fluid changed last week at which point my mechanic told me i needed a new starter, yesterday my car siezed up while my friend was driving and the mechanic told me today my starter is fine and I now I need a new engine. I feel like I should get a second opinion. could a bad starter stop a car while it is in motion?
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,

Does the engine have the proper amount of oil in it now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

James, A bad starter can not cause an engine to seize up. A bad starter will not allow the engine to turn over or in some cases drag and not turn it over fast enough. Providing they filled the oil up to the proper level when they changed it, then about the only thing that can cause an engine to seize is caused by an internal problem in the engine, could be anything from the oil pump failing to seized engine bearings. To be sure its seized up, take a socket and breaker bar and at the crank shaft pulley try turning the engine over by hand. If it turns then its not seized. If it dosnt then it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if the crank shaft pulley does not move then i absolutely need a new engine?

Unfortunately yes James, If the engine can not be turned by hand then its seized and replacement is the next best option.