greasemonkey2386
greasemonkey2386, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications A1,A4,A5,and A7 10+ years professional hands-on experience
71578964

What could be causing my gauge cluster tachometer, gas and

What could be causing my gauge cluster tachometer, gas and temp gauges to jump all over?

greasemonkey2386 :

are the needles moving along the normal path? do they stop at the end of the colored areas or numbers or do they bounce around with no regard to whats behind them?

Customer:

They bounce around with no regard to what's behind them

greasemonkey2386 :

do you have a scan tool there that you can watch some live data?

Customer:

Don't think so.....what is a scan tool?

greasemonkey2386 :

a device you can plug into the car to communicate with the various sensors and computers inside the car

Customer:

No I don't have one

greasemonkey2386 :

ok, you say tapping on the dash changes the bouncing....have you tried changing the angle of the cluster? moving the wires around with it plugged in?

Customer:

Not really, hard to do that with wires plugged in. The wires and connections look good. I have not tried moving wires around when plugged in.

greasemonkey2386 :

i would try that, those circuits have nothing in common so unless something is damaged or loose in the wiring I would be looking at a damaged cluster

Customer:

ok I'll try that

greasemonkey2386 :

ok, are you going to try now or in the morning?

Customer:

in the morning

greasemonkey2386 :

ok, well if there is anything else i can do please let me know, and feel free to respond again to me after you check it, please rate my service this evening and let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I moved the wires around with it plugged in. Didn't do anything on the tach but the temp gauge moved around when I moved connection and wires back and forth

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I apologize i never got a notification that you responded! The temp gauge moved around, that is a good thing! The movement did correspond to the wiggling of the wiring and not just a coincidence correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Correct wiggling of the wiring and connection

that tells me that the senders themselves are more than likely ok, do you see anything unusual inside the wiring connectors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I've looked at them closely and the wires that come into them and don't see anything unusual.

I would try to find a cluster for it then, it seems to me your problem is internal to the cluster