gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified

How do i set up my Mercedes E350 so that the radio doesnt come

Customer Question

How do i set up my Mercedes E350 so that the radio doesnt come on when the backup camera comes on, which is when i put it in reverse. i want the backup camera to come on but not the radio when i put it in reverse.
Category: Car
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Is this a factory setup or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Factory setup on 2011 E350

I am not having any luck finding a procedure to set your car up to work this way. Would you like me to opt out and let others try and figure this out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does that mean that is standard for the radio to come on when you put the car in reverse? This doesnt surprise you?

I suppose it would good to let others try to answer.

Opting out now, best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 years ago.
That is normal operation, since the back-up camera visuals run through the radio/Nav system. If it's just a matter of not wanting to hear the radio, you can just turn it down before reversing (like, if you are starting out in the morning from your driveway) It turns off again once you start back in forward direction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
putting the car in drive does not turn off radio. you have to also remember to turn down radio volume every time you listen if you dont want it to comeon loud next time you get in reverse.
does anyone have a way to keep radio from coming on when put in reverse?

If the radio is not turned on, it should only come on momentarily while the camera is active, and shut off again when the camera is no longer active. If it doesn't, then you have a radio issue and it may need to be replaced.

I'd try resetting it first by disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together to discharge any stored electrical capacitors in the modules.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The radio does not turn off when the camera turns off. Are there other consequences that come from touching the battery cables together?
It amazes me that Mercedes doesn't provide some way to avoid this.