Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

bentley arnage: bentley 2000 arnage. there is a way to reset

Customer Question

bentley 2000 arnage. there is a way to reset the check engine light using cancel and trip buttons but i lost the nstructions?? can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

There is no reset procedure as said for the check engine light ,.

What you can do to clear the ECU memory and turn off the check engine light is disconnect the battery .

But if you have a hard malfunction code the light will come back ON as soon as you switch on the ignition.

If you have a soft code the check engine light will come back on after the car has completed a drive cycle ,as a full drive cycle is needed to check all sensors .
if any are not working or working slow the light will trip back ON.

In both cases i suggest you have the system checked for codes and repair what every has malfunctioned then the check engine light will then stay off if it completes a drive cycle .

Here is how the system works .

The check engine light is yellow meaning you don't have a great problem, this comes on when the management system (ECM), encounters a malfunction within the engine and transmission system.

Unless you have noticed the engine is misfiring,which means this should be checked asap due to the fact a misfiring engine will damage the catalytic converter's.

Now if the engine is running well ,then you don't have to get to the garage asap but when you have the time.

What i suggest you do is find a good local garage that has a diagnostic scan tool (shops computer tester).

Once the scan tool is connected it will be able to read a stored code or codes (A code will be stored due to a malfunction of a part or sensor it will turn the light ON)

The found code or codes will let you know what has malfunctioned and the testing technician will then let you know what has to be done to repair this issue .

Once the repair has been done the the codes will have to be cleared, which will switch of the check engine light, if the repair has been done correctly then the check engine light should stay off.

Need further assistance then please get back to me.
Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Greg

i have actually reset this previously. it is a combination of the cancel and trip buttons with the key in position 1 or 2. i just dont recall how i did it. the answer was on the internet.

john

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi John this was for the Check engine or maintenance light .

But just resetting will not fix anything justr switch off the light

untill the Cars management system see the malfunction again then the light will trip back on .

Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. i will try the battery approach. thanks

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi John .

Take a drive down to AutoZone and get a free code read out done then get back to me with the codes ,then you can do the repairs then the light will stay out and be able to complete the drive cycles , if you just keep clearing the codes then you will fail the next Emission test.

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg
Just found the site if you are interested.

Ignition stop 2

Trip button, hit five times
Start engine.
No check engine light!

Best
john

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi John .

Okay now i have you , you mean the service light reset ,and not the check engine light .

This light comes up every so many miles to inform you its time for its service inspection ect , and nothing to do with the fuel injection Check engine light..

Sorry little misunderstanding .

Happy motoring John and thank you for using Justanswer.com .

Kindest regards Greg