Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

ra-csv

Customer Question

what is the differance between a 1999 sable transmission and 1998
Category: Car
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Car question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

There are 2 possible transmissions on each model, Some of them had the AX4N transmission and some of them had the AX4S.

To tell which one is which look at the picture below:
graphic

Also the 1999 sable possible transmission part numbers are XF1Z7V000DARM,XF1Z7V000EARM and XF1Z7V000AARM. the trans part number are F8DZ7V000CARM,F8DZ7V000FARM and F8DZ7V000AARM.

They are different part numbers, Also you'd want to be careful because your vin Is S which is dohc and vin U is not dohc so you have two different motors with 2 different transmission options and different part numbers between 2 years of the same vehicle so I would be very cafeful when you are shopping for a trans because you could easily get the wrong transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only differance between the two tranny is it picks up the speed-o reading . They are both two wires, but dirrerent colors. One is on top middle of tranny and other is in rear. Would this work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The two tranny are the same except, the speed gear are in different location. They both have the same number of wires, two. One is a 1999 DOHC and the other is a 2000 DOHC

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

The way you tell on a Sable is there is a transmission with a 17 bolt oil pan and one with a 19 bolt oil pan. Any 17 bolt trans out of a sable will work with any other 17 bolt pan model, and the same any 19 bolt pan trans will work with any 19 bolt pan model, but the 17, and 19 bolt pan transmissions dont interchange. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.