Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport"s engine has been making a

Customer Question

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport"s engine has been making a knocking noise that goes away only during shifting gears. I just had the oil changed, and the noise went away...briefly. I went to check my oil and noticed that the dip-stick showed a color variation of dark honey colored at the tip going to a lighter shade of yellow. I dont think that my oil is making it's way to the engine. What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

I hate to be the one to give bad news, and am sorry you are having these issues.

Unfortunately that is a sign of coolant in the oil. The reason the noise quit for a short time is that there was no water in the oil right after the oil change, and then as more coolant got into the new oil it would start again.

Have you been noticing a small coolant loss or has it overheated in the past?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't noticed ANY coolant loss. It overheated a year ago, August, while driving from Utah to Idaho.

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I would suspect a minor head gasket leak. You can have a sample of the oil analyzed to be sure it is water or put some in a jar and let it sit and it will seperate over time. But that is sure what it sounds like. If that turns out to be the case, I would try a product called Blue Devil, I have had tremendous success in cases much worse than yours. It is a high end block and head gasket sealer. It could prevent you from having to make a costly repair. Most parts stores carry it. Make sure you follow the instructions and chances are extremely good it will fix your issue
permanently or at least for a very long time. They advertise a 90% success rate
and a money back guarantee. Here is a link to the manufacturer if you want to
read more about it.