Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport"s engine has been making a

Customer Question

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport"s engine has been making a knocking noise that goes away only during shifting gears. I just had the oil changed, and the noise went away...briefly. I went to check my oil and noticed that the dip-stick showed a color variation of dark honey colored at the tip going to a lighter shade of yellow. I dont think that my oil is making it's way to the engine. What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

-

I hate to be the one to give bad news, and am sorry you are having these issues.
-

Unfortunately that is a sign of coolant in the oil. The reason the noise quit for a short time is that there was no water in the oil right after the oil change, and then as more coolant got into the new oil it would start again.

-

Have you been noticing a small coolant loss or has it overheated in the past?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haven't noticed ANY coolant loss. It overheated a year ago, August, while driving from Utah to Idaho.

Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I would suspect a minor head gasket leak. You can have a sample of the oil analyzed to be sure it is water or put some in a jar and let it sit and it will seperate over time. But that is sure what it sounds like. If that turns out to be the case, I would try a product called Blue Devil, I have had tremendous success in cases much worse than yours. It is a high end block and head gasket sealer. It could prevent you from having to make a costly repair. Most parts stores carry it. Make sure you follow the instructions and chances are extremely good it will fix your issue
permanently or at least for a very long time. They advertise a 90% success rate
and a money back guarantee. Here is a link to the manufacturer if you want to
read more about it.

http://www.usasealants.com/products/blue-devil-head-gasket-sealant/