artssvc
artssvc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician and shop owner with over 30 years experience.
70285168

190 E: How do I find out the fair market value of a car (a

How do I find out the fair market value of a car (a Mercedes) that's too old to be in the online Kelly Blue Book?
The NADA online guide has a section for classic cars. I did a quick check and your 190 is listed in the guide. You can find it at http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1989/Mercedes-Benz
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have another question. The car's low value, which seems to be the one I would use considering its condition, is $3,875. But the car isn't running right now, and probably needs at least new sparkplugs and a distributor. Do you know how that would affect the market value?

I have the same problem with a VW Beetle -- I found the value on the website ($2,900) but it also isn't running -- probably something wrong with the flywheel according to the guy who towed it.

(I need to sell these for an estate; that's why I'm so concerned with having the market value right.)

Usually the low retail value assumes that there may be some needed mechanical or cosmetic work. I don't think that it should greatly effect your asking price. You can always lower your price, so I would start a bit higher and disclose the needed repairs. Let the customer negotiate price after they know what they are buying. Usually the buyer is going to try to negotiate price no matter what, so it would be to your advantage to start higher.