carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models
12326834

Suzuki Sidekick: what would make a 94 sidekick slide out of

what would make a 94 sidekick slide out of gear while driving. It will either rev up - taking foot off gass will usually get it back for a moment or longer. Also, instead of reving up, it may go into what I call putter mode where it almost dies.

carguyjosh :

Good afternoon.

Was there much debris in the transmission pan when you removed it?

Customer:

There was No debris and did not smell burnt

carguyjosh :

It sounds as though the transmission main pump is failing. When the pump gets weak it can't maintain the amount of fluid needed to keep the clutch disc's locked in. Thats why you feel it slipping.

carguyjosh :

Many shops perform transmission flushes, a flush may or may not help this problem. It really sounds as though the problem may be more involved

Customer:

It does run fine (usuallY) when cold, but when it heats up it starts this nonsence.

carguyjosh :

Some of the transmission shops offer free diagnostics and can test the pump output pressure and tell you for sure. If it were mine, I'd start with the transmission fluid flush. It is very cheap in comparision

Customer:

Ok, will try that and see where we end up

carguyjosh :

That is where I'd be heading. With the cost of transmission rebuilds, I avoid it at all cost...Thanks, Josh

Customer:

Thank you!

carguyjosh :

No problem. Have a good weekend...Thanks Josh

carguyjosh :

Please let me know how she goes...Josh

Customer:

will do.

carguyjosh :

Thanks