porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician
Experience:  Highline automotive technician
71042349

land rover range rover sport supercharged: getting codes p0340

Customer Question

getting codes p0340 and p0345. I was wondering if anyone has engine performance schematics to determine signals.
Category: Car
Expert:  porscheguru replied 2 years ago.

porscheguru :

Do you have access to a scan tool that can read actual values? This way you can determine if the camshaft position senors are functioning. Have you pulledthe connectors and see if there is oil in the plug connections to the sensors?

porscheguru, Technician
Experience: Highline automotive technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no oil, the connector is attached to sensor harness and from harness to sensor. no oil at sensors. its just strange that i get both bank errors.
And you are saying the car cranks but will not start?
Do you have a scan tool to check the output of the sensors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, solus pro. i dont get those pids. my question to you is, are you familiar with this symptom, code and why both. The original requests was for schematics to try to make an accurate evaluation.
I am familiar with those codes but I am going to opt out and let another expert take over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks porcheguru. Your time is certainly appreciated.
Hey I see you are a mechanic. If it is ok with you, how about if we bounce things off each other until another expert takes over? Maybe between the 2 of us we can make some progress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am certainly open to that. One thing that I know for me to move on is the proper wiring diagrams/schematics to properly trace signals. The sensors are pretty expensive so I want to narrow it down to source of failure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that sucks! i hit the green button and now I problably wont get my question answered.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Don't worry
will report it when I get back to my PC
I reported this so I believe you got credit or will get credit for this. Does the car start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the car starts at this time. and I havent been able to reproduce the symptom. and the only clues i got were the two codes mentioned.
OK, that is good info. With the Cayenne V8 models, we would get these faults and it was sometimes as simple as replacing a restrictor for the cam adjusters. But it is a little labor intensive as you must remove the adjusters and retime the cams. Since we are already there we replace the adjusters but we have also just replaced the restrictors with good success. Not sure what the car you has exactly as a setup but let's face it, with late model cars, the cam adjusters are pretty much all the same (with some variations but basically a device to change cam timing). If this were my car or I was working on this and the customer was willing, I would change the oil and run a quart of ATF as the final top off and drive 500 miles and see if the fault returns. Maybe the adjuster is intermittently sticking as you are saying it runs well and the fault is currently not present.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for input. a failed adjuster or faulty adjuster will set an immediate code and since there are no codes I can not head in that route. Ill be replacing the sensors tomorrow also battery seems low. I know that weak battery can set unwanted codes without any problem being present.

The Porsche adjusters do not necessarily fail but intermittently get sluggish. Hence the intermittent fault. I know those sensors you are replacing are expensive. When you clear the fault, how long does it take for the fault(s) to return?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Codes did not return after clearing them. Tried duplicating symptom and no juice. I will continue tomorrow morning when I return to vehicle. Those are all great guesses, but I will try again tomorrow begining with rechecking wave form. let you know what I find..
Ok. I will await your reply. I would also consider resetting the plug connection at the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed out the cam sensors and vehicle has not had the no start condition present it self. cam sensor b1 failure. replaced b2 while at it.
How much were the sensors? Did you compare them with the new ones with an ohm meter just for reference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dont remember the values but once warm, the signal became weak. Tests were performed with vantage pro.
Thanks for the update