Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. I am military serving in Spain,

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. I am military serving in Spain, so access to GM mechanics are difficult. I just received my truck back from the GM Dealer in Madrid (400 miles away) and now it is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. The parking assist turns off automatically, the line under the gear indicator disappears, and the engine light is on. Should I just use this truck for target practice? WTF is going on with it, please help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
is this 4X4 ? what size engine.why did they change the transmission? was this the problem they replaced the transmission for originally ? is 3rd and 4th gear ok ? and this problem was there right after you got it back as soon as you picked it up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a 4x2. 5.8L, The transmission would slip out of gear (like neutral) and not go back in while driving. The gears slipped so bad trying to get it home it broke. It only has 35,000miles on it so it is still under warranty. 3rd and 4th gear are good for now. This seems to be another problem. I drove it from Madrid with no issues and then the next day I took it to get the local inspection done (required by law) and when I picked it up this problem occurred.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
it susre sounds like all 3 of your problems are all 3 of those use the transmission switch on the drivers side of it to tell the computer what gear it is in so it can work the E-brake,indicate on the cluster what gear it is is and the PCM knowing what gear is selected so it will shift it accordingly . more than likely that switch is unplugged,bad connection at it or the switch became damaged when it was removed from the old transmission or its loose or cracked.that is the switch that would have input and control over all 3 of those things you are having problems with this truck.get under the drivers side and inspect the switch on the side of it right where the cable shifts the transmission and check out the connection there and to see if the switch is loose,cracked or broken.if so it will need a new switch.if it looks just fine then a shop will have to read the code in the computer as that code will tell you what are the problem is in but my guess would be that switch is the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I saw a switch on the side of the transmission which had a grey plastic protector around it. The protector was loose so I tried to secure it, but it is still kinda loose. the actual connection looked solid. The other electrical connections around it looked and felt secure. Could it be the relay itself? if so how much is that piece and what is it called?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
it is called the prndl switch.or some times called a neutral safety switch. usually @ $ 75 to $ 100 depending on the parts mark up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put my truck on the OBD code reader and two codes popped up.

P0700 and P1816. What do these mean?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
yes the P1816 is stating that when the transmission is physically shifted into drive the computer is being told its in park or neatral .there has to be a bad connection at that switch on the side of the transmission or that switch is bad