Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

We have a 2000 V6 3.8L dodge caravan today the oil pressure

We have a 2000 V6 3.8L dodge caravan today the oil pressure dropped to nothing in a matter of less than 30 seconds and then the car shut off. We thought this might be a faulty pressure sensor and replaced it but now the engine fuse keeps blowing and it is not work. What could it be that is causing this? Previously we have had no issues with this vehicle except a light for the 02 sensor did come on a week ago.
Can you tell me what fuse it is thats blowing? Did you do anything with the 02 sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did not do anything with the o2 sensor per the mechanic at rit-away who ran the check engine scanner. He said it was not something to worry about and it has been running fine and then all the sudden it just got really high oil pressure and then died and would not restart. There is no number it just says "engine 20amp" on the fuse.
it is located in the fuse box under the hood not the under the dash one.

Ok give me a minute and I will reply back.
Ok the 02 sensor has a heater in it and that is powered by that engine fuse, so what I am suspecting is that the wiring for the 02 sensor is shorted to the exhaust and is causing this problem, this is very common on this vehicle.
This is normally the one on the back side of the engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We need to know what it goes to?

I am not sure what you mean by that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You said it is usually the one on the back side of the engine? I am not sure what you mean. I know the green one with the brown strip is in the rear of the engine what I need to know is what it connect to so that I will know what is causing the short

The 02 sensor wiring harness usually melts to the rear exhaust manifold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so to fix this do we change just the wiring or the wiring and the 02? Thanks and I am sorry for the confusion.

Oh ok sorry I was not understanding, usually you have to replace the 02 sensor, it has about a 18 inch or so pigtail on it and that pigtail is what gets shorted. In some cases you can just remove the wires from the manifold and separate the wires and tape them up and it will be fine, it just depends on how bad the wires are damaged.