Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

I have a 96 honda accord, auto, 2.2L, 170k miles. Transmission

I have a 96 honda accord, auto, 2.2L, 170k miles. Transmission is grinding when put into drive or reverse. I replaced the Shift and Lock-Up Soleniods, but still no resolution. Vehicle will not move fwd or rev. Is this an internal problem requiring a rebuild/replace?

I always hate having to give my customers bad news, but unfortunately this is going to require either an overhaul or the transmission or replacement. The bands, clutch friction plates and servos are gone on your transmission which is causing the grinding noise and no forward or reverse.

An overhaul will run about $2400-2700 parts and labor.

Replacing with a low mileage used transmission will run about $2200. I would go thru for the transmission as they are nationwide and have good warranties on their parts.

Replacing with a remanufactured transmission will run about $2900 parts and labor.

I would go with either a used or remanufactured transmission unless you know someone that is great at transmission rebuilds. I see too many shops that never seem to get them right and the customer is bringing their vehicle back many times to get it right. Transmission rebuilding seems to be a lost art and is hard to find someone that really knows what they are doing.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you