CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

Is the wiring in the steering column in an 03 C230K compatible

Is the wiring in the steering column in an '03 C230K compatible with the connections to an '04 wheel with a different airbag setup. I've got the '04 wheel but the 'o3 airbag does not fit correctly onto the '04 wheel. Thank you! Tom Pearl
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'XX do my best to answer your question.

I need to know the ID number of the airbag. It should be something like this:
(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve, I don't have the '04 airbag #, but the change took place between the '03 and '04. The '04 wheel has a R171 # XXXXX the main apparant differences in the air bags are that the '03 has 4 control tabs on the airbag which are flush and the '04 has 4 buttons which are not flush. I hope that this helps. Thanks, Tom

I don't need the 04 airbag number. I need the 03 airbag # (from the airbag that is currently in the vehicle).

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still mounted in the '03 vehicle. I try to get it off Monday
OK. Let me know what the number is. What you want to do may or may not work depending on the number of this airbag. Unfortunately it's tough to tell without this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get it. We Know 03 airbag works the 03 steering column it's question is whether the 03 steering column will work w the 04 airbag.I'll try to get that number just means that the steering wheel Will have to come off, but I'll try to get it thank you
There are some airbag #'s that fit both and some that only fit one model year. That's why I need the number.
Just checking in to see if you have that number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original airbag # XXXXX does this help?
Apparently Justanswer doesn't like you putting the numbers here. Try putting a space in between each number or putting them vertically like this:
1
2
3
4
5
6
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2
0
3
4
6
0
1
7
9
8 is number of orig.
1
7
1
8
6
0
0
7
0
2
9
1
1
6 is the correct airbag for the wheel I purchased.
Hmmm...the number of your original airbag isn't matching with what it should be.

It should be one of these numbers: (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Is your car a sedan, coupe or station wagon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C230k Coupe vin#wdbrn40j23a527432 if that helps
OK. That was helpful. I've found 3 airbag numbers that will work with either the 2003 or 2004. Here is the list:
(NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You can find used airbags here:

www.car-part.com

There are quite a few listed for under $300.

Let me know if you need anything else.
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN