internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

i had a tune up done with new plugs and wires, belts, water

i had a tune up done with new plugs and wires, belts, water pump, o2 sensors, air filter, and oil change. my gas mileage is still very low, and new air filter and exhaust smell of gas. any ideas what might need replaced next? car had 202000 miles on it
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

internal88 :

Hello and welcome.

internal88 :

Did you change the ignition cap and rotor.

internal88 :

Is your check engine light on?

internal88 :

Sorry you have the V6. Therefore you don't distributor cap and rotor.

internal88 :

my only question is the check engine light on>

Customer:

Hi, it comes on while driving sometimes, but does not stay on, I have a code reader but it does not work on the car, and the garage I take it too couldnt get a reading and says it must have self cleared.

internal88 :

Did you use all OE SAAB parts.

Customer:

yes

internal88 :

how much mileage per gallon are you getting now?

Customer:

about 12 mpg on 89 grade, i use to get between 20-26

internal88 :

20 is average.

Customer:

before the tune up, it was running rough and blowing a lot of black smoke, its running smoother now and idleing at about 800rpm but the gas mileage has not gone back up and I have gone about 500 miles now

internal88 :

The problem is your oxygen sensors.

Customer:

i replaced both of them, do you think the new ones are faulty, they are bosch, the old ones came out covered in carbon dust

internal88 :

You changed that too. That's good. A tech will need to hook up the a computer to your car to see if the oxygen sensors are working.

internal88 :

There is a sensor that is giving you fault code.

internal88 :

The only way to retrieve this code is from a scanner.

internal88 :

A saab tech with a scanner can simply retreive this code.

Customer:

ya my scanner doesnt like to connect to it, I guess I will need to make a trip to the a dealer to have them scan it.

internal88 :

you need to call them first and ask if they can scan your vehicle.

internal88 :

Your car is equipped with OBD1 port.

internal88 :

you might have a leaky injectors

internal88 :

I don't want you to change any parts before retreive the code.

Customer:

yes and i thank you for that as I dont want to dump a ton of money into an older car

internal88 :

This is my honest advice.

internal88 :

In the meantime buy a bottle of techron to clean the injectors.

Customer:

yes and thank you for your time

internal88 :

and the valve.

Customer:

ok

internal88 :

Techron will help reduce the carbon built up.

internal88 :

you are welcome.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks for your time and help

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.