carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models

Hi there, Im looking at buying a new car & had a look at a

Hi there, I'm looking at buying a new car & had a look at a susuki grand vital 2002 model. I took it fir a fair drive, it ran very well but when I pulled over I took the radiator cap off and the coolant bubbled a little bit, it when went down. I drove it some more temperature gauge was fine, but when I pulled over again It did the same. when I asked the seller he said he hadn't had any over heating problems and hd not needed to replace the coolant for a very long time and it was still very nice bright green. Is this something I should be concerned about? The overall engine kind of smelt like id taken it on a really long drive too?

carguyjosh :

Good evening.

I would absolutly expect the coolant to bubble unless you were to allow the engine to completely cool down befroe removing the cap.

carguyjosh :

If there was a problem with the engine overheating due to any type of combustion entering the cooling system, you would quickly overheat.

carguyjosh :

Please ask me any questions that you have and I will be happy to answer them...Thanks, Josh

carguyjosh :

As far as the coolant condition, If the rest of the vehicle appears clean and well maintained, it doesn't surprise me that the coolant would be as well. A well maintained engine will keep fairly clean coolant.