internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

My friends car stalls on the highway. She has been to many

Customer Question

My friend's car stalls on the highway. She has been to many mechanics and has spent a lot of money, to no avail. No mechanic has helped her. I think she probably has dirt in the gas tank, but her mechanics think not. She has replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs. Help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Psychic replied 1 year ago.

Auto Psychic :

gary here, sorry to hear of your friends misfortune :(

Auto Psychic :

what year make and model does she have?

Customer :

Toyota Supra 1995

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Where is the car now? Does she have any gas in the car ? Is the supra turbo or non turbo ?
I have both cars personally , I can help you out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car is in her garage. It does have gas in the tank. She has tried driving it with a full tank and also with an almost empty tank but with the same results. I don't know if the car is turbo or non-turbo. A mechanic has driven the car. It stalled on him, but he was unable to find what the problem is. The way she describes it, it seems that it goes fine until she has to slow down. Or going down hill. That's why I thought there might be dirt or sludge in the tank, but a mechanic told her it could not be that. She buys her gas always at the same gas station, which is a reputable one. I use it myself.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the detailed information. Can you ask her the following: is the check engine light on? When the engine is idling where is the rpm seat? 1000 rpm or 750 rpm.When did she replace the fuel pump?Once the car stalled can she restart the engine immediately?Turbo or non turbo is important please ask her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is non-turbo. The engine does start immediately after the stall.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I have the same car.
I believe you have a bad fuel pump relay and main relay.
Can you tell me if there is spark in the spark plugs? You can take the spark plug out and ground it on the valve cover. Crank the engine , do you see sparks? I need to know if the coil is working . I need to do more diagnose .
Is the check engine light on on the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Engine light is on.

The fuel pump is new.

Not sure of the rpm. Will have to check the rest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that I can tell you at this time is that the plugs are new and so is the fuel pump. "Check engine" light is on.

Thank you for the " bad fuel pump relay and main relay" advice.

I'll have to check about the spark when cranking the engine. And the coil. Can't do it right now. You have helped a lot.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Ok good we are getting somewhere now. I will give you more instruction tomorrow morning.
I will show you how to retrieve the check engine light on your own. This light will give us a code to define the issue.
I will intervene with you tomorrow .
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The ECM contains a built-in self-diagnosis system by which troubles with the engine signal network are detected and a malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument panel lights up.

Turn ignition switch on.

1. Locate the OBD connection underneath the steering wheel. You should see a gray plug with 16 female terminals.
  2. Use a paper clip to connect TE1 terminal and E1 terminal.
  3. Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2.
  4. Read the diagnostic trouble code from malfunction indicator lamp. HINT: If a diagnostic trouble code is not output, check the TE1 terminal circuit.
  5. The check engine light on the left hand side will be blinking.
  6. For example if the checking engine light blink 2 times then 1 time. That means it is code 21.

Let me know what code are you getting.

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the expert advice. At 90 years-old I am reluctant to get too involved with the hands-on work. I will pass on what you have told me to the owner of the car. I have an idea that what you have prescribed has already been done. That is how I got involved. The car-owner is at the end of alternatives. That is why I settled on the old dirty gas solution.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light procedure that I mentioned is not that difficult. It Shoukd only take 10 minutes. The result will give me a code that eventually lead me to the faulty sensor. The supra has a good reliable engine. I have been working with this engine exclusively for years. Since this car is monitored by the ecu and many sensors. It could be mass air flow sensor or the throttle position sensor. I don't want her to purchase unnecessary parts for no reason. Please feel free to ask me for any questions or advices. I will continue to help to bring this car back to the road. Thank you for the bonus .