porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician
Experience:  Highline automotive technician
71042349

saturn vue: i have 2002 saturn vuethat only gets first third

Customer Question

i have 2002 saturn vuethat only gets first third and fifth gear why
Category: Car
Expert:  porscheguru replied 2 years ago.
I am unsure if this is a manual transmission but I am thinking it is. Before we begin, can you confirm if this is an automatic or manual transmission? Thanks and I will await your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
manual

Please answer in order so I can understand the situation:

1: Does the clutch feel normal?

2; Does the transmission shift into 2nd and 4th when the engine is off?

3: When did this condition first occur?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the clutch feels mormal yes it shifts october 31 2012

So the transmission shifts into 2nd and 4th gear when the engine is off?

But when you start the engine, the transmission will not shift into 2nd or 4th gear even when you are not moving? Just like shifting through all of the gears with the clutch in but just testing it at a standstill it resists from going into 2nd and 4th?

Does the shift lever feel normal with no sloppiness?

This just happened yesterday?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the shift level feels like it wants to get stuck like i said i have no reverse second or fourth gear the gear shift wants to stick some times grinds gears trying to go in to first

Even though I am not there to diagnose this in person, you have given a very good description of what is going on. If this were in my shop I would evaluate the easiest and cheapest. I would have a look at the shift linkage from the shift lever all the way to the gearbox. But I do not feel good about this. I fell the gearbox has an internal problem causing this. Did someone miss a shift or "power shift" this right before this happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no the car was parked for about a week not being used when i went to drive it this happened

Well that would at first appear to be good news. But when a transmission is grinding in only a selct gear(s) it would still point to an internal failure. BUT I would scrutinize the shift linkage as it would seem that something is not right and that would be the best news for you. If everything was working fine when you parked it and nobody drove the car, maybe something was getting to fail in the linkage. The linkage has bushings and plastic components that can fail.

Are you able to work on this yourself and check out the linkage? A good visual will be sufficient.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i can in the morning i will check the linkage

OK. Check the linkage at the transmission but first try to pick up the shifter boot and see if anything looks abnormal.

Is there anything else I can hep you with?

If not, can you please rate my assistance in a positive manner as this is the only way I will receive credit, thanks and thanks for letting me help you.

Feel free to contact me for anything as I have an alert on my phone if somebody needs me. Kind of like Superman! :-)

porscheguru, Technician
Experience: Highline automotive technician
Have you checked the linkage?
I enjoyed helping you on your last visit with me on JustAnswer and would love to help you with any other concerns you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was the transmission

Well I felt that deep down it was internal but you always hope it will be something simpler. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have in the future.

You can directly request me here: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-porscheguru/